Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Which Lancer Regt?

Mick Simpson

Hi All

William Arthur Wilkes Born 1901 Northampton, and we think he joined at the latter end of the war. Don't have a Regt number and have not located any MiC that may fit. Probably did not serve overseas or he did join later. (I have posted previously in Soldiers about his Father, William WIlkes Suffolk Regt)

Not very good pictures i'm afraid but could anyone hazard a guess at which Regt this is? There has been mention of him being in the 17/21 Lancers but im sure this is pre amalgamation and think it may one or the other.

Many Thanks

Mick S

post-56122-0-83068900-1307026274.jpg

post-56122-0-68766700-1307026294.jpg

post-56122-0-81033500-1307026315.jpg

The picture on the left is more indicative to me of the 9th Lancers, bent to fit the cap. The collar badges on the right are more indicative of the 21st Lancers. Unfortunately I can't make out the shoulder titles in the middle.

http://www.surplusandoutdoors.com/images/product/main/9TH-LANCERS.jpg - purely for illustrative purposes

http://www.britishmilitarybadges.co.uk/images/ll09039.JPG - for the 21st Lancers (whose collar was same as cap)

The 17th/21st didn't amalgamate until 1922; the 17th's 'motto' (apparently never call it 'badge') was the famous Death's Head much beloved of biking jackets.

Hi All

William Arthur Wilkes Born 1901 Northampton, and we think he joined at the latter end of the war. Don't have a Regt number and have not located any MiC that may fit. Probably did not serve overseas or he did join later. (I have posted previously in Soldiers about his Father, William WIlkes Suffolk Regt)

Not very good pictures i'm afraid but could anyone hazard a guess at which Regt this is? There has been mention of him being in the 17/21 Lancers but im sure this is pre amalgamation and think it may one or the other.

Many Thanks

Mick S

I believe he has the 21st Lancers badge in both photos, cap and collar, although I can see why Staffsyeomanry thinks the cap is for the 9th. There were 2 versions of the badge, including the more squat badge as shown here, although sadly with the butts of the lances trimmed off.

post-599-0-85195100-1307032106.jpg

The collars are more in the configuration of this alternative design of badge..

post-599-0-24893700-1307032185.jpg

I wonder if an enlargement could be provided.

The badge on the left looks to have a scroll at the bottom: it might be a trick of the light or my rubbish eyesight, but it looks like it has the scrolls.

Staffsyeoman, Frogsmile, Steven

Thanks for your responses.

I am currently working abroad and only have these versions of the picture which are too pixelated when enlarged further.

I've attached the other shot of his cap badge which seems to have a couple of blurs or streaks as if he moved when the shot was taken.

But it does seem to be a scroll at the bottom of the badge.

Mick

post-56122-0-14783200-1307051155.jpg

The cap badge is definitely 9th Lancers, it has the long scroll across the bottom. The collars do look like 21st though.

The cap badge is definitely 9th Lancers, it has the long scroll across the bottom. The collars do look like 21st though.

Here is the 9th Lancers Badge for comparison.

post-599-0-24612300-1307058311.jpg

Frogsmile

Thanks very much.

So he may well have started off in the 9th, possibly moved to the 21st and possibly (according to family story) served beyond 17/21 amalgamation. His records should be at MoD but without a regt number it will be difficult.

Rgds Mick

Frogsmile

Thanks very much.

So he may well have started off in the 9th, possibly moved to the 21st and possibly (according to family story) served beyond 17/21 amalgamation. His records should be at MoD but without a regt number it will be difficult.

Rgds Mick

Perhaps you can post on the 'soldiers' section as you did for his father and experts there will help you track him down. There are a lot of very helpful people there with good connections and great knowledge and experience in military genealogy. Just put down every single thing you know about him and see what they come up with.

Rgds FS

• 2 weeks later...

7t2ndswinger, Staffsyeoman, Frogsmile, Steven

Spot on with 9th Lancers.

Had a result back from the 9th/12th Lancers museum and he did serve in the 9th, Regimental Number 17029, B Sqn, 16/6/1919 to 23/1/1920 when he was posted to 21st Lancers India. So outside the scope of this forum but thanks for your help. Hopefully I can move on further armed with his number.

Many Thanks to all.

Regards Mick S

Out of interest, the 21st (Empress of India's) Lancers were the only British regular cavalry regiment to remain in India for the duration.

Steven

Thanks. Do you happen to know when they actually returned to UK? On their museum web site it says in time for amalgamation in 1922.

Mick

No idea, I'm afraid. Sorry.

Steven

Thanks anyway. Hopefully I will get a response from the QRL museum.

Rgds Mick

Hi

Just to Update, response from QRL Museum.

I regret we do not keep individual soldiers records but I have found information on No.17029 and 313087 Private W. Wilkes, who may be the soldier in whom you are interested. The two numbers are probably because he was in the 21st Lancers and transferred to the 17th Lancers on 1.2.1922 prior to the amalgamation that year to form the 17th/21st Lancers. This man became a 2nd Class Shot with ‘A’ Squadron, Meerut 1920. Passed out of Riding School 4.1.1921, Meerut and passed Footdrill 17.2.1921, Meerut. He left India with ‘A’ Squadron 27.10.1921 and obtained a 3rd Class Certificate of Education with ‘B’ Squadron, Tidworth 6.5.1922.

So 21st Lancers also correct!!

Thanks again to all

Rgds Mick S