Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

old local newspapers

Charlotte

hiya folks..

i'm taking my kids to the library tomorrow and thought i'd ask to look at the old newspapers that they have on microfiche(excuse the spelling, lol)..

i was there a couple of weeks ago and had a look at the ones for 1914 ,this was a very new experience... :P

i noticed the rolls of names for different parishes and things but i'm really not sure if theres other things i might miss...

anyways i would be glad if anybody could point me in the right direction ..

thanks

charlotte

Hi Charlotte

What would you an the tiddlers find particularly interesting in the papers? Theyre gonna have obituaries, despatches regarding something 'worthwhile' a local person may have done etc, but may help ya to narrow it down a bit (or suffer the goggle eyed monster later that night cos it can be hard to put them down!).

Just outta interest, what town's library u visiting?!! :huh:

Steve

hiya folks..

i'm taking my kids to the library tomorrow and thought i'd ask to look at the old newspapers that they have on microfiche(excuse the spelling, lol)..

i was there a couple of weeks ago and had a look at the ones for 1914 ,this was a very new experience... :P

i noticed the rolls of names for different parishes and things but i'm really not sure if theres other things i might miss...

anyways i would be glad if anybody could point me in the right direction ..

thanks

charlotte

Comparison Looks @ Ancient Advertisement is always worth a Chuckle,Court reports :~ the local Circuit Courts make for interesting reading,Embarkation details & lists Local Gallantry Awards & Citations,Local Casualties & Prisoners of War Info,Soldiers Letters to Home ...................

Mid July 1916 onwards may well show the 1st July casualties - mostly reported missing in the paper I looked at.

Weekly papers are often more informative than dailies as far as local papers are concerned.

Worth looking out for, particularly in the earlier parts of the war, are accounts and diary notes from soldiers at the front. I always find information on the "comforts committees" to be of interest (knitting of socks, cigarettes etc).

Just keep browsing and something will interest almost everyone in due course.

You may also find adverts for patriotic and/or fund raising concerts which give a flavour of the period.

I always enjoy reading the "In Memoriam" columns - you might come up with nicknames for people you have originally researched by more conventional means. Also sometimes the identity of their sweethearts.