Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lewis Gunner skill patch

alex falbo

I was wondering if there is a way to tell if the patch was made during the Great War, Interwar or WWII periods? Any contributions would be welcome. Also please show uniforms and examples if you have them in your collection of the patch.

I was wondering if there is a way to tell if the patch was made during the Great War, Interwar or WWII periods? Any contributions would be welcome. Also please show uniforms and examples if you have them in your collection of the patch.

Here are a few variations Alex. Generally the more brown shade of khaki (i.e. with less of a green tinge) are the ones worn in the earlier period as this more closely matched the shade of SD. Also note the brown thread version that was used by the Foot Guards (bottom row centre two) who had (and still have) their own variation both in shade of the device and as a slightly larger size.

post-599-0-55007400-1307005094.jpg

Yes I can see the shading quite distinct when viewed close enough which is relief. I'm looking to acquire an original. Have there been GW examples with the print lettering? Thanks for the post Rob! Should have just sent you a PM :D

Yes I can see the shading quite distinct when viewed close enough which is relief. I'm looking to acquire an original. Have there been GW examples with the print lettering? Thanks for the post Rob! Should have just sent you a PM :D

All the Great War versions that I personally have seen, in museums and regimental collections, have used the scriptive form. I have never seen the block letter version and it may well be from later. The badge continued(s) to be used as a 'Light' Machine Gunners proficiency badge up until the present day. The size of badge used by the Guards has remained unchanged whereas that for Line Infantry and Other Arms is smaller, as you can see at far right, top and bottom. Brass/GM badges have not been used for many years.

Excellent info! Did men operating the light Hotchkiss or any other variety of LMG during the War would also qualify to wear it? Where are the brass titles worn on uniform?

Alex,

You have to try and moderate.

For example do you wish to see pre WWI period photos of a known, machine gun servant and his photos.Or a man who honestly served his guns,in WW1,and lost his life serving or directing them.

Gun qualifications were not then important,other than on a "home on leave photographs" but then again, have you serviced a gun and seen its power?

George

Excellent info! I've that men operating the light Hotchkiss or any other variety of LMG during the War would also qualify to wear it. Where are the brass titles worn on uniform?

No Alex, there were separate versions for the Hotchkiss (see enclosed). What I meant was that when the Lewis was phased out the badge continued in use subsequently for Light Machine Guns as the "L" was of course still relevant. Brass versions of the badge were worn on the left forearm, as per the worsted ones, or above the chevrons on the right arm when qualified as an instructor.

post-599-0-58802000-1307057797.jpg

Alex,

You have to try and moderate.

For example do you wish to see pre WWI period photos of a known, machine gun servant and his photos.Or a man who honestly served his guns,in WW1,and lost his life serving or directing them.

Gun qualifications were not then important,other than on a "home on leave photographs" but then again, have you serviced a gun and seen its power?

George

Yes, I have fired war era weapons before and respect their power immensely. At the risk of digressing, I was looking to create a thread that could share knowledge between those looking to collect, display or use (period impression) the skill badge and how to acutely or approximately ID its period of use or make.

Rob, again all your information is appreciated. Sorry about the confusion though. I understood what you meant and thought that perhaps that principle may have applied since the Hotckiss could be considered a light MG when fired by bipod. But as you've pointed out, this was not the case. Incidentally, were the LG badge introduced in 1915 when the Lewis Gun came into service or later?

Yes, I have fired war era weapons before and respect their power immensely. At the risk of digressing, I was looking to create a thread that could share knowledge between those looking to collect, display or use (period impression) the skill badge and how to acutely or approximately ID its period of use or make.

Rob, again all your information is appreciated. Sorry about the confusion though. I understood what you meant and thought that perhaps that principle may have applied since the Hotckiss could be considered a light MG when fired by bipod. But as you've pointed out, this was not the case. Incidentally, were the LG badge introduced in 1915 when the Lewis Gun came into service or later?

You will need to refer to the Langley book to get the exact date Alex (Grumpy can advise), but it was soon after the Lewis Gun's introduction. For a period in the 1930s a LMG badge was introduced (for the Bren Gun) but it was subsequently realised that the LG badge could be used for all Light MG and the LMG badge was withdrawn, leaving just the original LG, which remains in use today.