Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Elijah Wigmore

rob123

I am currently researching my family tree and have recently been told that a relation of my namely Elijah Wigmore died in WW1 apparently be has be-headed, not sure if this was an accident or at the hands of the enemy. I believe he lived in Bolsover in Derbyshire, was wondering if anyone could cast any light on the cause of this death.

Rob

Elijah landed at Suvla Bay with his unit,part of 33 Brigade of 11 Division, on 7 August 1915. Here you should read Hamilton's Despatch for the time as it gives context to the activity:

http://www.1914-1918.net/hamiltons_gallipoli_despatch_3.html

If you scroll two thirds of the way down the page you will encounter "The Landings at Suvla Bay and the fight for the surrounding hills." Second para begins the entry of 11 Division into the fight............but,you should read the whole despatch for the ferocity of the actions and the grim conditions.

Sotonmate

Hi sorry for the delay in replying I have been away for a few days thanks very much for the great information it has been very useful.

• 5 years later...
Guest Tracey15

Elijah Wigmore was my Nana's older brother. He lived on Shuttlewood Rd. in Bolsover. rob123, how are you related to him?