Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anybody help me with this medal?

Rob Chester

This medal belonged to my grandfather. He served in the artillery. It appears to show a wounded tommy assisted by an indian soldier. Does anybody know anything about this medal or seen another one. I am guessing it is a private commemorative medal and probably Indian but would be grateful for any ideas.

Rob

post-23048-0-70876100-1306952310.jpg

I think that you have a souvenir rather than a medal. These were sold by street vendors and bric a brac type shops and were often purchased just post war as a keepsake. Often they were holed so that they could be hung from a watch chain.

Might be two wounded blokes (both with heads bandaged), rather than an Indian. Not that it makes much difference, I suppose.

Thanks. Steven, I am pretty sure this is an indian souvenir because the King is shown as he was on Indian coinage of the time. If it had been a british medal it would surely have had the bare headed george V and refered to him as King AKA the Official medals. Jim, I think you are right probably just a souvenir he picked up somewhere but he obviously treasured it and kept it safe with his medals and eventually passed it on down the family. Thats why I am interested in finding out more. Sadly I think I may never know anymore than I do now. Thanks anyway. Rob

The use of King Emperor does suggest colonial India but still think it's two wounded soldiers, rather than a Brit and an Indian specifically. Antony

In Belgium there were made thousands medallions, souvenirs of all kind. We call it patriotic medals. Like Jim says they where hung on the chain of a pocketwatch. Charles Lefebure made a catalogue from 1914 till 1923. 3246 Belgian souvernirmedals are mentioned. Such medals were made even till after WWII. All kind of veteran organisations made their own medals. And I must say most of the medals are very beautiful made. I enclose two British medals, patriotic medals from my collection, only to prove their existance.

With kind regards from Flanders,

Jef

post-64837-0-68306100-1307045580.jpg

post-64837-0-53850700-1307045605.jpg

The use of King Emperor does suggest colonial India but still think it's two wounded soldiers, rather than a Brit and an Indian specifically. Antony

Is the "Indian" wearing a sling?

Rich

I think he's the other lad. A

Ah, I pressumed since he has the other chaps arm over him, he was carrying him :whistle:

Rich