Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Capt Reginald George Bower RFC

stan

A friend of mine (a Spitfire pilot from WW2 who dislikes Spitfires but loves SE5a's) has always believed that his father was an RFC Capt who flew SE5's. However I can find no record of a aero-club certificate in that name. Has anyone heard anything about an officer of this name?

Can't see anything likely in AIR 76 either

Stan

You've no doubt looked there before me, but I couldn't see an R G Bower in Flight from 1914 to 1919.

Gareth

I'm beginning to think it might be one of those embarrassing family story things.

Stan,

There's no mention of anyone by this name in Sturtivant and Page's "The SE5 File" either - this book is about as comprehensive a guide to the type and its pilots ever written. Have you looked at the AWM files, as when I saw this query coming in from Oz I just wondered if there was an AFC link?

Regards,

Trevor

There is no R G Bower listed in the Air Force Lists of of officers dated May 1918 or Feb 1919, just an R Bower (2nd Lt) in the latter.

Errol

Thanks for this. I'd hate to disappoint my friend. The Dad was definitely in and from England, my friend came out after the war. Anyway to find out what the R stood for?

cheers

Adrian

Can you add any more family details - parents, place of birth, whom he married, so that we can figure out where to focus a search?

Steve.

Born in Hants in England, married to Maud or Lillian Maude Mitchell. He went just by Reginald apparently.

There is a marriage of a George Bowers (with an "s") to Lillian M Mitchell at Poplar, Middlesex in 1932 (Apr-May-Jun Qtr 1932, Vol 1c, Page 596)

Could this be the right one?

Steve.

Not unless he married a second time, which is possible. My friend started getting a bit evasive when I started asking about his family. Does it list the Father's occupation? Mind you the 's' represents a bit of a problem - though it's not unknown for people to drop or add bits on names for various reasons.

Not unless he married a second time, which is possible. My friend started getting a bit evasive when I started asking about his family. Does it list the Father's occupation? Mind you the 's' represents a bit of a problem - though it's not unknown for people to drop or add bits on names for various reasons.

Hi Adrian,

I have just check the BJV Database and no Bower appears on it

Andrew