Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Possible Non-Commerated - 6073 PTE. P. MADINE, R. IR. RIF.

southafricawargraves

Saw this on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Victory-Medal-Royal-Irish-Rifles-died-1917-casualty-/260792125026?pt=UK_Collectables_Militaria_LE&hash=item3cb86c0662

A Victory Medal correctly impressed to:

6073 PTE. P. MADINE, R. IR. RIF.

Patrick Madine’s Army Pension Record has survived and is viewable on the Ancestry website. His record shows that he died on 4th March 1917 of kidney disease. The record states “Not result of, but significantly aggravated by active service”.

He enlisted aged 37 in November 1915 in the 5th Battalion Royal Irish Rifles and landed in France in February 1916. He was discharged from the Army as no longer physically fit for War Service in November 1916.

He resided at Church Street, Ballynahinch, County Down.

He is not commemorated on CWGC, perhaps he should be?

The medal is in excellent condition with an original silk ribbon.

I will provide a printed copy of his Pension Record (8 pages) to the winning bidder.

His record does NOT show that he died of kidney disease - only that he was discharged because of kidney disease and that he subsequently died.

Without a death certificate indicating the kidney disease, there is no case to make to CWGC/MoD - he may well have been hit by my usual runaway tram.

Seller is being misleading - possibly through ignorance of what the documentation means

Fair dinkum John, we can't go outside these days for fear of your trams. They're everywhere.

Spot on though, without the DC we've got nothing.

Cheers Andy.

Had the same sort of scenario with an Aussie yesterday involving a newspaper article.

To update - the seller responds:

"The man was suffering from hypernephroma (cancer) of the right kidney and an application was made on 15th February 1917 for his admission to Belfast Military Hospital and he died just three weeks later. I don't think it's an unfair assumption that that is what killed him (that or heart disease). Either way, it does say that these two diseases were aggravated by War Service.

I do, however, take your point that his actual Death Certificate would have to be consulted in order to reveal the actual cause of death."

Let's hope the eventual buyer takes a punt on getting the DC and decides to do something about commemoration

Fair dinkum John, we can't go outside these days for fear of your trams. They're everywhere.

Cheers Andy.

Andy

My wife & I took a tram ride from Adelaide centre to Glenelg a couple of years ago, brilliant experience. We made the mistake of coming back during rush hour when all the Bogans were eating Big Mac's and throwing the wrappers at each other.

Im quite happy to take on his case & get the DC

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Case will be going forward as DC shows connection with cause of discharge

Chris

• 6 months later...

Sorry I have not been on much and missed this; Patrick Madines death was recorded in the local newspaper the Down Recorder while I don't have it at present as it was borrowed of me it stated that he had died in hospital at Belfast after a years illness and while entitled to a military funeral the family had declined the body being interred in Old Magheradroll Parish Church grave yard (which I have searched but have been unable to find any memorial)

I was going to try to rectify his non commeration myself but I'm glad to see this has already been taken in hand.

Regards

Stephen

Stephen

Thanks for your interest

As of yet we at IFCP have been unable to find his grave. If you can help with this I would very grateful. Some form of documentary proof would be required from the church

Cheers

Chris

Chris I will try to get the information as soon as I can ,will also get get the newspaper cutting the grave yard is an old one the church having relocated .

Regards

Stephen

Thanks very much Stephen

Cheers

Chris