Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Does anyone recognize this medal?

AlidaB

Hello!

Does anyone recognize this medal? Perhaps it is not even a War Medal! But I found it among my Great-Uncle's things ... and he served in World War I (CEF) and was the last officer in Archangel. He escaped Archangel in 1920. I wish I would have found the St. Anne's he was awarded !

Many thanks.

Alida Braden

My link

Gosh, I hope this link works!

It looks to me to be the French Order of Academic Palms (Ordre des Palms Academiques). If so, this is not a military decoration. Usually given to academics or teachers. There is also a Belgian decoration which looks somewhat like this, but with a reddish ribbon. I would bet on the French one. Doc

It looks to me to be the French Order of Academic Palms (Ordre des Palms Academiques). If so, this is not a military decoration. Usually given to academics or teachers. There is also a Belgian decoration which looks somewhat like this, but with a reddish ribbon. I would bet on the French one. Doc

Certainly looks like it, but it's not completely identical to the one in this image.

palmesa_ch.jpg

Edit; Just found another image on Wikipedia, looks like it may have been redesigned somewhere along the way;

241px-Ordre_des_Palmes_acad%C3%A9miques.jpg

Alida; have a look on Wikipedia for info about it. The terms of the award are very much as Doc suggested. Maybe there's a list of recipients out there somewhere.

Yes, there are multiple variations and versions (depending on period and grade-- sometimes one kind of leaf, sometimes two, sometimes with the balls on the left, sometimes on the right, sometimes without balls, varying types of metal, etc.), and the earliest ribbons were black, then violet, then changing to what we see today. It's been around since Napolean (200+ years). There is an order of the Academic Palms association, and they do have some lists of recipients. They are accessible on the net: http://www.amopa.asso.fr/

In recent years (since 1955 or so) the award has basically been given to people (including foreigners) who have contributed greatly to French Culture, in addition to its traditional academics. This is a relatively common decoration, and many thousands have been given out. Doc

THere are three grades to this order; looks to me like 2nd grade _ officer _ which is silver; period 1866 -1955 Officier déAcadamie. The 'gold one is gilt officier de l'instruction publique complete with rosette on ribbon. Ribbon is violet; I suspect the two in headgarners post are post 1955: Instituted 17.3.1808 originally metal woven badges. I really like the faded ribbons; I have a blue one on another medal which has turned light grey on the obverse; nice item Chris

Hello Alida,

It seems the same model like a medal in my collection. The only difference is the precious stone at the top of the medal. Don't know what kind of stone it is, but it's harder than glass.

The ribbon seems in the same condition as mine.

kind regards,

Jef

post-64837-0-42890300-1306835240.jpg

Looks like a small diamond. Masonic regalia also made use of diamonds this way. Antony

Thank you so much, everyone. I will check Wiki ....

But if it is French and having to do with Academics ... my Great Uncle (the one whose medal I thought this was) married an English girl of French heritage. And her father had a French School in London. Maybe it was his! Last name of Boissot. Very interesting. I knew this site would have the answers!

Again, thank you!

Alida