Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Young officer

johnnie

Here is the second photo.

It seems to be of a young officer however I wasn't sure what the cap badge was (artillery?)and his hat also seems to have decoration on the peek.

His medals would also seem to suggest he has the MC but again I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

post-11843-0-97832000-1306757325.jpg

post-11843-0-04672500-1306757334.jpg

Here is the second photo.

It seems to be of a young officer however I wasn't sure what the cap badge was (artillery?)and his hat also seems to have decoration on the peek.

His medals would also seem to suggest he has the MC but again I'm not 100% sure.

Any help would be great,

Johnnie

This is the young Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII) when he was an Ensign in the Grenadier Guards circa in WW1 and who famously gave up his throne after marrying Wallis Simpson, an infamous American socialite. He does not have the MC but your Cheshire's officer does. Unlike line regiments the junior officers of Guards regiments (Horse and Foot) have peaks decorated with gold braid.

The ribbon which looks similar to the M.C., is most probably that of the 1911 Coronation Medal. It's an easy mistake to make!!

If I remember correctly his MC was awarded in 1916.

It's the MC first on the left, he was awarded the MC - much to his embarrassment.

Thanks Scott, I did not know that and it's interesting information. I can see why he was embarrassed!

His MC was one of those for 'distinguished service' rather than gallantry in action.

His MC was one of those for 'distinguished service' rather than gallantry in action.

That's interesting, as I had thought only the DSO had such variation and that the MC always related to courage shown in action. It would be great to see the citation but I suspect that will be difficult!

As far as I remember it came up in his father's birthday honours, so no citation

probably June 1916 as Dick Flory has already suggested

As far as I remember it came up in his father's birthday honours, so no citation

probably June 1916 as Dick Flory has already suggested

I would love to see if it caused a stir in the press then as it would now!

Scott has mentioned that the PoW was embarrassed by the award

I think that that is probably right. In September 1915 he received a ticking-off from the King for not wearing foreign decorations which he had been awarded (LoH and a Russian order are referred to). The PoW's letter of 22nd Sept 1915 in reply to his father includes "I feel so ashamed to wear medals which I only have because of my position, when there are so many thousands of gallant officers, who lead a terrible existence in the trenches and who have been in battles of the fiercest kind (many severely wounded or sick as a result) who have not been decorated."

Here is a slightly less formal photograph, which, like the letter quoted above, is to be found in his autobiography 'A King's Story'

PoW1915.jpg

Here is a slightly less formal photograph, which, like the letter quoted above, is to be found in his autobiography 'A King's Story'

PoW1915.jpg

Interesting to see both straps of his Sam Browne being worn.

Hasn't there been a former thread on his MC? Can't seem to find it?

Rgds

Tim D

Tim,

I'm sure that you're right; in fact there must have been two or three at least

however, like you, I cannot find them at the moment

This from the LG:

5570 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 JUNE, 1916.

Awarded the Military Cross.

Capt. H.R.H. Edward Albert Christian

George Andrew Patrick David, Prince of

Wales and Duke of Cornwall, K.G., G. Gds

regards

Michael

Scott has mentioned that the PoW was embarrassed by the award

I think that that is probably right. In September 1915 he received a ticking-off from the King for not wearing foreign decorations which he had been awarded (LoH and a Russian order are referred to). The PoW's letter of 22nd Sept 1915 in reply to his father includes "I feel so ashamed to wear medals which I only have because of my position, when there are so many thousands of gallant officers, who lead a terrible existence in the trenches and who have been in battles of the fiercest kind (many severely wounded or sick as a result) who have not been decorated."

Hats off to him !

Neil

Neil,

It is also interesting to note that the King's reprimand was not prompted by personal observation (after all he was back in London) but by a letter from the prince's CO, Lord Cavan. It is difficult not to be sympathetic to the young lad who was so closely watched all the time

regards

Michael