Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown unit

johnnie

I have just been going through a few photos and was wondering if anybody could help me with details regarding units/medal etcs.

The firts is shown below and seems to be a man wearing the MC along with the 14 star (or 14/15 star) trio, and two other ribbons I can't identify.

His hat looks rather naval to me and the badge looks a little like an acorn but I'm not sure and was wondering if any members could suggest a unit/date.

Many thank

Johnnie

post-11843-0-77718200-1306756188.jpg

post-11843-0-70535800-1306756216.jpg

post-11843-0-39019900-1306756224.jpg

I have just been going through a few photos and was wondering if anybody could help me with details regarding units/medal etcs.

The firts is shown below and seems to be a man wearing the MC along with the 14 star (or 14/15 star) trio, and two other ribbons I can't identify.

His hat looks rather naval to me and the badge looks a little like an acorn but I'm not sure and was wondering if any members could suggest a unit/date.

Many thank

Johnnie

He is in the Cheshire Regiment Johnnie (before 1881 the 22nd Regiment of Foot) and wearing a type of Blue Patrol uniform with white collar and dark tie. The collar badges are distinct and represent an acorn and oak leaves. Regimental tradition has it that this commemorates the last time a British King joined his Army in battle, I think at Dettingen, in 1743.

You can see his regimental cane, Sam Browne cross belt and a forage cap with summer cover, and you can just about make out his twisted gold gimp shoulder cords which would bear his rank. He looks to be wearing overalls (tight fitting trousers) with a quarter inch red stripe down the outer seam. I would date the photo to the 1930s before WW2.

post-599-0-18457100-1306757249.jpg

He is in the Cheshire Regiment Johnnie (before 1881 the 22nd Regiment of Foot) and wearing Blue Patrol uniform. The collar badges are distinct and represent an acorn and oak leaves.

Beat me to Cheshires.

Smart dress. Some times people say Marines.

Regards

Simon

Many thanks for that.

Here is a close up of the hat.

Do any members have any idea what his rank is or what the other medals might be (perhaps coronation medals?)

Johnnie

post-11843-0-93660500-1306757151.jpg

Many thanks for that.

Here is a close up of the hat.

Do any members have any idea what his rank is or what the other medals might be (perhaps coronation medals?)

Johnnie

The cap shows the Cheshires, star shaped badge. He appears to have the ribbons of the Military Cross and the 3 WW1 medals: British War Medal, British Victory Medal and 1914/15 Star. He does not have the gold braid on his peak of an officer of Field Rank (Major and Lt Col) and is thus likely to be either a senior subaltern or a captain.

Beat me to Cheshires.

Smart dress. Some times people say Marines.

Regards

Simon

Yes, the Royal Marines still use this type of Blue Patrol uniform. Its use in the Army was short lived, as was the white cover for the forage cap, but there are many images of this outfit being worn between the two wars.

It is difficult to say, but he appears to have the M.C.,1914 or 1914/15 Star, BWM & VM ribbons. I do not think that there are more than four medals.

If you could get a close up of his shoulder it may be possible to ascertain his rank.

Robert

Many thanks for all of the help with this. I'll try and sort a better picture of the shoulder sorted.

As for the medals. I'm quite sure there is a ribbon after the trio which isn't very clear on the scan and wonder if it may be a coronation medal if his uniform dates from between the wars.

Johnnie