Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown soldiers

Ali Hollington

Hi,

Whilst visiting my parents grave yesterday I had a look round the military graves, amongest the forty or so are two unknown soldiers from the great war. I've seen these in France + Belgium but this is Shoeburyness in Essex.

Is it common to have unknown soldiers in the UK cemeteries?

Ali

Of course, proportionately one would assume more burials are due to repatriated bodies or those who died in the UK of wounds etc once back here, but you will naturally get victims of bombings, aircrashes, bodies washed ashore and other

action at sea. (Probably more from WWII).

I have seen quite a few in and around Sussex.

Perhaps there are just fewer the further you get from the immediate locations along the south coast so it just seems odd?

Ryan

Fair one, there is a high number of RA graves as Shoeburyness has historically been a gunner town, infact there is still a testing range. I hadn't considered the idea that an unidentified body might turn up, in WW2 my area was affected by the Blitz and had downed aircrew both Allied and German but I haven't found an unknown for this more likely period.

I'll contact the CWCG and see if they have any information, did you find anything about the graves you mentioned?

Ali

Yes and no other than for example there are two Merchant Navy headstones in one cemetery with 'unknown' on them but it appears they did know they were Merchant Navy and one was dated 10th July 1944 and one 11th July 1944. One could assume these deaths were related.

I have yet to investigate the nature of the deaths/burials at the local cemeteries here but one day I will :)

Ryan

I must admit my quest to find out more is probably going to end up on the "one day" list, but hopefully I'll fight that. Your two seaman- do you reckon they are from a sinking or casualties on land?

Ali

Ali

There are a thousand or so 'Unknowns' in the UK - mostly from WW2.

I have a complete record if anyone is interested.

They are mainly seamen (naval and merchant) and airmen althought there are a handful of soldiers.