Remembered Today:

Unusual Shell

Frajohn

I saw this today.

With my limited knowledge, didn't have a clue. About 9 to 10 inches long

Thanks

John

5772686329_ebb10b1335_b.jpg

Hello, John - It's a German minenwerfer round, about 76mm. Could you tell if the fuse was brass? Regards, Torrey

Thanks Torrey

Sorry, couldn't tell. If I get the chance I'll look again Monday.

It looked so different as it was not rusted as nearly all the other shells I have seen are.

John

Hello, John - From the photograph, it looks as if the fuse is steel. If so, it probably dates from late in the war. I have to state the obvious - please don't touch it. Some of these were gas shells, I fear gas shells like nothing else! Regards, Torrey

I confirm that this is a 76 m/m LMw light minenwerfer projectile but the sharply pointed nose cap is something I have never seen before. Could this be the message shell? - S.W.

I had another look at the shell, do't worry definitely no touching!

I coud not see any difference in the body of the shell and the fuze. In fact it was not obvious that there was a fuze there as I could not see the line of a join

regards

John

Most fuzes for this shell are brass with a flat tip with a 'keyhole' to allow a key to be inserted presumably to set the time element of the l.W.M.Zdr. time and percussion fuzes. There is however a percussion only fuze designated 16.f.l.W.M. and this could be it. Alas the G.H.Q Notes on German Fuzes 1918 does not illustrate it. Material looks like a zinc-alloy. S.W.