Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension Form 21f

Phil Evans

I have another possible non-comm, Sapper George Albert Vincent Brown, who died post-discharge of TB.

The case itself looks pretty good, but the question is this:

Amongst his records in WO364 (Ancestry Pensions), is a Pension Form 21f, Notification of Death. Is this an acceptable document in lieu of the GRO Death Certificate as far as the MoD is concerned?

Many thanks,

Phil

post-20576-0-06157900-1306696580.jpg

An addendum to my original question.....provided that it gives the cause of death.

I have found that some of the forms do not state cause of death, only the date.

Phil

Hello Diane,

I knew that clip would cause confusion, as soon as I had posted it.

The actual date of death is the 6th August 1921, so just in.

Phil

Phil

I think much may depend on whether the disease was contracted whilst he was in the army or was recognised as having been because of his wartime service. If it was contracted after discharge, and was not recorded as having been to military service, it may be that the CWGC has no responsibility.

TR

Hello Terry,

The disease is attributable / aggravated by, so the case itself should not be a problem.

The problem is more with my finances. I usually finance my own submissions and even though the IFCP now has a refund facility for post-discharge cases, I would still have to up front the DC. Subject to some final checks, eg not already in the system, I potentially have a dozen cases for submission.

Therefore if the Pension Form, where it contains the cause of death, is considered a verifying document by the MoD, I can save my pennies for where a DC is the only form of verification.

Phil

• 11 years later...

George Albert Vincent Brown, WR/288258 or 290798. Looks like a solid case, two sets of service papers, tb was either aggravated by or attributable to service (there are also full medical reports):

GBM_WO363-4_007287544_00769.jpg.de5c5659b3f23714ac873eae8a884ef5.jpg

Cause of death on 06/08/1921 was apparently tb (also a notification of death in his service record with the same details):

471057073_BrownGeorgeAV(288258)1.jpg.4ec43e6e2f326811931a9724f764c236.jpg

Burial record appears to be on DeceasedOnline, location is Islington.

Not wanting to put a possible 'fly in the ointment', but ...

Rather than the 70% disability and 19/3 pw awarded on the letter [and on an initial disability pension index card too] from MoP practice Pulmonary TB [Phthis] was most typically granted 100% disability and 27/6 pw [so as to avoid the potential need for a man to go out to work and spreading the disease more widely] = it seems just possible that if not Pulmonary TB that a reduced degree of disability and comensurate pension rate rate might be awarded. ???

Is the "Tuberculosis" in the letter clarified in the other page(s) of the file as Pulmonary TB [Phthisis] as showing on the pension card?  Or possibly another form of TB?

I think, either way, a DC is most likely going to be required by CWGC/MoD in order to get a better consideration by them.

M

Edited by Matlock1418
typo

One set of his service papers contains two medical reports: one dated October 1918 where his condition was deemed to be consitutional but aggravated by service during the war, and a later report dated March/April 1919 where the decision appears to have been amended to "attributable". These are some extracts from the latter:

GBM_WO363-4_007299280_00074.jpg.0fc59d4e8eb993f5bf98aa9029c9a990.jpg

GBM_WO363-4_007299280_00075.jpg.33becdba20d2e3643f822804a3ad4471.jpg

GBM_WO363-4_007299280_00077.jpg.3b46a58de4e2c270d62eb832c017278c.jpg

3 minutes ago, PaulC78 said:

One set of his service papers contains two medical reports:

OK those seem to confirm Pulmonary TB [but the 70% degree of disability is still rather puzzling given  other MoP practice of assigning 100%]

M

• 4 months later...

Any update on this chap?

M

I've not done anything with this case, he's up for grabs if anyone is interested.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

George Albert Vincent Brown was put forward today, so we shall see.