Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Director of Works' - Mudros Harbour, Lemnos

b3rn

I remember reading in Butler's official medical history that - prior to hospitals being established on West Mudros (Turk's Head) - the 'Director of Works' surveyed the area. In the War Diary for No. 2 Australian Stationary Hospital, the only specific mention of their location I can find is that they were on "Block 7". Presumably there was a map (basic no doubt) that sketched out sites for the hospitals that were to open there (No. 3 A.G.H., No. 2 A.S.H., No. 1 & No. 3 Canadian Stationary Hospital, No 52 (1/1st Lowland) Casualty Clearing Station (T.F.) and later No. 27 General Hospital).

Would the 'Director of Works' been part of a British unit? Who ran the logistics at Lemnos? I've dipped into a few Aust. War Diaries but no success with any Mudros maps. I'm not sure where to look to be honest.

The D of W organisation was British run. You will find D of W and Assistant D of W war diaries in the National Archives catalogue, WO 95 series, they do not normally contain any plans however. There is another series of papers in WO 161, but I am not sure if they will be helpful.

TR

Does this help???????

Sepoy

This is part of a map held at the National Archives, but due to a some recent computer issues and a massive crash I have lost the reference!

post-55476-0-63560600-1306602085.jpg

If it is the position of No.2 Australian Stationery Hospital which you require,

then see the map in post #10 here

Also the Ross Bastiaan Plaque shown in post #33

Searching through my surviving computer records, I have found another photograph of a map showing the lay-out of the No.2 Australian Stationery Hospital, rather than its vague location as in the first map. Only problem - its passed my bed time (I'm working "Earlies" over the Bank Holiday Weekend!) I will sort it out tomorrow evening.

Sepoy

michaeldr - thank you; that Lemnos post is great! But the Bastiaan plaque (and subsequent annotations by montbrehain) are somewhat vague. I am fairly certain the plaque was made from the map included in Butler's official medical history.

The Butler map you can view here.

Sepoy - magnificent! Really, really appreciate your reply.

The most detailed map we'd come across was actually a small photo of a map, taken by A.W. Savage (who was with No. 3 A.G.H. and took many fine photos & panoramas of West Mudros). That map is titled like so:

HUTTED HOSPITAL SITES ERECTED AND PROPOSED (31 Dec 1915)

HOSPITAL WORKS DEPT.

ALL BUILDINGS IN HAND ON 31.12.15 MARKED IN RED

R K Morrow (? Morcom ?) Capt R N D E, O.CHP. W, 31/12/15

Here is a scan.

Unfortunately being black and white, and a photo, it was impossible for us to match the key to the symbols beside the camp layouts; also we were not sure which were 'proposed' locations.

Your map confirms many of the locations that we'd identified by looking at the photos of the area - but we had few clues for the precise location of the Canadians.

B3rn needless to say your photograph is of one of the maps held at the National Archives. I hope these photos taken a couple of years ago help.

Sepoy

nb forgive the weight - this map was seriously creased!

post-55476-0-76765300-1306690752.jpg

• 3 years later...

Dear Sepoy

Do you have the National Archives reference for the location of this map? I'm also keen to find out if there are any similar maps for (East) Mudros where the British, French and some Australian faciltiies were located.

I am a historian in Australia, and Secretary of the Lemnos Gallipoli Commemorative Committee over here. We are boulding a memorial statue to Lemnos in Melbourne, Australia - to be unvieled on 8th August 2015, the centenary of the arrival of the nurses at 3AGH at west mudros. I've also visited Lemnos on many occasions, identifying Gallipoli connected sites.

Any advice appreciated.