Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

quillon

patje70

Pat

It's not easy to say for sure because your photo doesn't show all the quillon. However I would guess it is ok, because what I can see of the quillon side has the same pitting as the ring on the other side, which is a good sign.

Regards,

W.

I've owned four or five of these - looks good to me on what is visible. Lot better than that club! -S.W.

I've compared the markings with my Sanderson made 12 '09 and together with the other ricasso features they do make for a good match.

The only query I have is the comparison of pitting found on pommel and crossguard with the bluing on ricasso still in such fine condition.

One possible explanation for this (which I see a lot) is that it has been stored in its scabbard leaving external parts exposed to the elements.

Alternatively there is a possibilty that the bluing may have been 'touched up' to improve its aesthetic appeal and hence its resale value.?

What can you make out of the markings that are stamped around the date etc.? Are they just reissue dates and crowned inspection marks.?

Cheers, S>S

just reissue dates and inspection marks if you want pics in bigger solution pm me your email and I will send you big pics

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Pat,

It's good to see you are still managing to find some nice items. The stamp on the pommel of the bayonet looks like '2 SEA', so it seems it was issued to the 2nd Battalion Seaforth Highlanders.

How are you and Sabine getting on? Is Fre a father yet, it can't be long now? We are off to Normandy this year for a couple of weeks, I am looking forward to it, but wish I had time to pop over to Ieper.

A ll the best,

Stewart