Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Armband with Sergeant chevrons

133.R

Where was this kind of chevrons worn? The chevrons are stitched on an armband witch can closed with two brass buttons. The other armband its closed . The size can´t be regulated.

Regards

I believe these were used in shirt sleeve order, 4 finger width then this would go around the folded sleeve.

I did this in Kenya/Cyprus in the 1980's.

Regards

Simon

I believe these were used in shirt sleeve order, 4 finger width then this would go around the folded sleeve.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon. What do you think about the age of these parts?

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon. What do you think about the age of these parts?

Sven the same pattern of chevrons as WW1 were worn between the 2 wars and into the 1950s. Shirt Sleeve Order was not so common in WW1 as it became between the wars and it was usually only in hot weather theatres like India and Egypt that it was permitted, and even then, only when undertaking strenuous physical work in the sun. The 'brassards' (as they became known) are more likely to be post war and were generally made up by Battalion tailors or in the local native bazaar. They were not an issue item but the chevrons were. Warrant Officers similarly wore a cloth or leather wristlet bearing their badge of rank, rather in the same way as a wrist watch is worn.

More rarely these brassards could also be worn by an NCO acting one rank above his own, i.e. a Corporal temporarily appointed as Sergeant, in which case he would wear the brassard over his normal badge of rank and remove it when no longer holding the temporary appointment.