Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NCO Rank Insignia

Ken Lees

I am hoping to eventually identify the man in this photograph, taken in late 1914.

I think the medal ribbon is that of the TFEM.

What is his rank? He appears to be the senior NCO in a group photo of 3 officers and 80 other ranks. The officers are a Captain, Lieutenant and a 2/Lieutenant.

Thanks,

Ken

post-927-0-84102500-1306516248.jpg

Is that right? I have never seen the rank of staff sergeant in a Territorial infantry battalion. Where does the rank fit in to the structure and what is the role of a staff sergeant?

Ken,

I cannot help you with the insignias worn by TF Battalion's N.C.O's ,in 1914.

But if you care to access John Duncan's web-site-Newbattle at War-specifically,the 8th Royal Scots at War.

You will find a 1914 photo of its Battalion Maxim Gun Section, prior to service abroad,with its N.C.O's.

George

Is that right? I have never seen the rank of staff sergeant in a Territorial infantry battalion. Where does the rank fit in to the structure and what is the role of a staff sergeant?

Ken to the Army Pay Warrant, he was a Staff Sergeant (as that was the recognized pan-Army rank) but that nomenclature was never used in the infantry and the title Colour Sergeant was used in its stead. In 1914 there was one Colour Sergeant in each of the 8 companies of a TF Battalion (A to H) who carried out the role of discipline, pay, and administration (including equipment).

In 1915 the Regular Army's 4 company organization (A to D) was adopted by the TF (phased in over the following year) and the four senior Colour Sergeants each became 'Company Sergeant Major' with the new rank of Warrant Officer 2nd Class (the existing Warrant Officer in Battalion HQ became 'Regimental' Sergeant Major and Warrant Officer 1st Class). The four junior Colour Sergeants were re-titled as Company Quartermaster Sergeants (CQMS).

The loss of the old and respected title, Colour Sergeant, was much resented by the infantry and later a compromise was reached where the CQMS continued to be ranked as Colour Sergeant, but holding the appointment of CQMS. This situation remains the same today.

The man in your 1914 photo is therefore a Colour Sergeant and, at that time, the senior and most responsible NCO in his company (about 102 all ranks at war establishment).

Thanks very much for the clarification. I assumed that he was the senior NCO in the company as he is sitting next to the officers on the group photograph and the NCO at the opposite side of the officers is wearing only Sgt's stripes. Now that I have his rank and the fact that he was awarded the TFEM prior to January, 1915 I am closer to identifying him.

Thanks again,

Ken

The man in your 1914 photo is therefore a Colour Sergeant and, at that time, the senior and most responsible NCO in his company (about 102 all ranks at war establishment).

Am with Frogsmile on this one, which is the cause of a lot of confusion, if unfamiliar with earlier Army ranking for the infantry. An outstanding feature of his rank insignia in service dress, being the very large worsted crown above the three chevrons and yet in scarlet the rank badge is a large crown above crossed union flags, above three chevrons.

post-7376-0-92600700-1307216558.jpg

Colour Sgt Boyd - 6th Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers