Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

List of Available War Diaries from Members

jainvince

The extensive list of available War Diaries is a tribute to members who are prepared to look-up entries for others. The list has become so long that it now appears on two pages. I fear that in the not too distant future the British list will get over the allowed size.

I can get over this by splitting the list but this may not be that convenient but there is another alternative. When I first downloaded War Diaries from the National Archive you got a month of a particular Battalion. Now you get a Division or Brigade and the download covers almost the entire existence of the Battalion. As a result of these advances we get entries such as the following which I use only as an example:

1 Royal Irish Rifles Aug 1914 to Jan 1918 - Please PM 'longboat'

1 Royal Irish Rifles Feb-April 1915 - Please PM 'Alan_J'

In this example I could delete the 'Alan_J' entry referring all enquiries to 'longboat'. Whilst it saves space it negates the willingness of Alan (and other so deleted) to assist others.

But am I being too catious. I welcome any views and will not delete any until I have to. If any entries are deleted, the names will be kept on the post and full details will remain on my master records. The excel file is always available.

Bernard

Bernard

It might be worth a look to see how long ago the contributors made their last post on the forum. Some may have moved on.

Keith

Or

1 Royal Irish Rifles Aug 1914 to Jan 1918 - Please PM 'longboat' [Also Feb-April 1915 - Please PM 'Alan_J']

keeping it on the same line

I think some of the volunteers in boxes are full, is there a way of finding this out before typing the message ?

I am assuming this is why you get a note saying XXX is not receiving messages, maybe more popular then they imagined

Perhaps consider some kind of a restructure of the thread, Bernard.

Maybe individual threads per Brigade or Division, or something similar?

Perhaps Eviltaxman Les could set up a web page that carries the list, in the way that he has a page for GWF donations, for example. That way the list could be taken off the original thread completely. The web page might list the formation/unit, period available, WO95 reference and GWF member from whom it is available. A new thread could be started on the forum, giving the link to the webpage and asking for new or updated diary contributions.

Perhaps Eviltaxman Les could set up a web page that carries the list, in the way that he has a page for GWF donations, for example. That way the list could be taken off the original thread completely. The web page might list the formation/unit, period available, WO95 reference and GWF member from whom it is available. A new thread could be started on the forum, giving the link to the webpage and asking for new or updated diary contributions.

That would be ideal.

Roger

Chris

Happy to go along with the webpage provided access was readily available. Actually, my master excel spreadsheet has 4 pages in total so might be easier to replicate that. I'll await the eveiltaxman to comment.

Whatever we do, it needs to be readily accessible as some 11,600 members have viewed the list and some near 7,000 had viewed the earlier thread.

Bernard