Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Football medal?

greatbeanbags

I am a collector of sporting medals made by Fattorini & Sons.

Have just acquired a silver & gold (1913 'o' Birmingham hallmarked ) medal inscribed on the reverse '1917 15th TR Battalion Winners of the 3rd TR Brigade Medal Competition April 10th 1917'. Assume a Football medal?

I assume that TR stands for Territorial Reserve & it was a member of a team from the 15th Bn.who received the medal after winning the 3rd Brigade Competition? Any help or information about my medal or its history or even its winner would be much appreciated. A long shot I know but thanks. thumbsup.png

post-51610-0-70325500-1306422722.jpg

It actually stands for 'Training Reserve'.

A search of the Forum will throw up more leads as this has been extensively discussed hereabouts.

I'm not 100% convinced that this is necessarily a sport medal (why not say it if it isn't?) - could be for a military skills or training competion - but sport is just as valid.

Addendum: There is a whole section on The Training Reserve in 'The Long Long Trail'.

It actually stands for 'Training Reserve'.

A search of the Forum will throw up more leads as this has been extensively discussed hereabouts.

I'm not 100% convinced that this is necessarily a sport medal (why not say it if it isn't?) - could be for a military skills or training competition - but sport is just as valid.

Winners rather than winner suggests a team event which would make a sports event more likely.The date would make cricket unlikely, Soccer or RUF?

Agree with staffsyeomen, could be a shooting or other military skills medal. Further research required. Antony

Staffsyeoman, Centurion & Piorun

Gentlemen many thanks for your thoughts about my assumptions .......will certainly view Training Reserve info in the Long Trail to enhance my knowledge of WW1.

I do try & conduct research on all my medals, especially those that are named or inscribed & it is amazing & fascinating to discover what info often comes to light! If you haven't seen this topic on the forum http://1914-1918.inv...1 do have a look. I still hope to prove Gunner Crossley was a 'Shropshire Lad' & perhaps return the medal to his relatives if any.

People like you who contribute their thoughts & time freely are fantastic & forums like this such a valuable asset in so many ways to me & I am sure others. thumbsup.png

Clive

Gentlemen

Another silver & gold Fattorini medal of mine that dates to 1913 & was awarded to a man for Football in 1916 as the rear inscription shows.

Can anyone please explain 2/1 Lancs Fus. BGDE Football League? Is it Lancashire Fusiliers 2nd & 1st Brigade or could it be their 21st Brigade?

Assume several Lancashire Fusilier Bn's competed in the Brigade league? It would be amazing to find which Bn won it or even the names of team players!

Any thoughts or more info appreciated. :thumbsup:

post-51610-0-26146000-1306577674.jpg

post-51610-0-87346400-1306577691.jpg

The 2/1st Lancs.Fus. refers to the 2nd Line(or Reserve) Bn of the 1st Bn Lancs.Fus. This would be stationed in the U.K., I believe, and the Brigade competition would be played between other 2nd Line Bns of that Brigade.

I think that it is unlikely that there would be other Bns of the L.F's in this Brigade, although I cannot be certain as no Brigade number is engraved on the medal.

Hope that this is of some use?

Robert

The 2/1st Lancs.Fus. refers to the 2nd Line(or Reserve) Bn of the 1st Bn Lancs.Fus. This would be stationed in the U.K., I believe, and the Brigade competition would be played between other 2nd Line Bns of that Brigade.

I think that it is unlikely that there would be other Bns of the L.F's in this Brigade, although I cannot be certain as no Brigade number is engraved on the medal.

Hope that this is of some use?

Robert

Thank you Robert.............this helps a great deal. :thumbsup:

Clive

Hi there

Presumably the 1st LF's is the regular battalion which saw service in 29th Div.

Did the regular reserve number themselves in the same manner as the TF ? I thought the regulars didn't use a 2/- system for reserves, instead their 3rd and on occasion 4th batts of regiments being the regulars' reserve battalions ?

Hi Lachlan,

Yes, you have a point there, it was indeed the T.F.Bns which used this numbering system for their reserves and not the regular Bns. Apologies.

I cannot think of any other explanation for the engraving, '2/1 Lancs. Fus'. Presumably 'Bgde' is short for Brigade? so 'Brigade Football League 1915-16'.

Perhaps someone will be along with a better explanation?

Robert

Very much a stab in the dark, could it be 2(nd) (runners up) 1st L/Fs Football League etc. The L/Fs didn't have a 2/1st. Ralph.

Lachlan, old owl, rjaydee..........thanks for your thoughts. I favour rjaydee's explanation. :thumbsup:

Clive