Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vieux Berquin Map Request

Guest e1948133

Guest e1948133

Hello

I am looking for an extract from a trench map (so that I can pinpoint the exact location on a modern map), of the location of the 3rd Battn Coldstream Guards on the morning of the 13th April 1918.

The 3rd Battn Coldstream Guards were then part of the 4th Guards Brigade of the 31st Division along with the 4th Grenadier Guards and the 2nd Battn Irish Guards.

I have a narrative of events (William Weeks, Long, Long Trail), which shows that:

"the 3rd Battn Coldstream Guards still held the front line from the road junction K.16.B.1.9 to LE COURNET PERDU"

I am researching Private 20224 William George Hughes of the 3rd Battn Coldstream Guards who was killed on this day.

Any help would be appreciated

• Admin

Hello Val and welcome to the GWF. Hopefully Chris Baker will see this and help out- he has just had a (very good) book published about the btalles in April 1918 in the area you are asking about.

Michelle

It's an area often referred to as Caudescure, Arrewage or Vierhouck. I've marked Le Cornet Perdu and the other reference on this extract. The main road on the right is the Neuf > Vieux Berquin road, and the wood top left is Aval Wood, part of the Forest of Nieppe. The Guards defence of this line was indeed a remarkable action. If you search for 4th (Guards) Brigade you'll probably find some material on the internet - otherwise buy the book! :thumbsup:

post-1-0-22809300-1306335135.jpg

Hi

In the following map the dotted line shows the approximate German front line on 27th July 1918. Shows what a good job the Guards did on that day

Regards

Martin

post-24996-0-56229400-1306338351.jpg

Guest e1948133

Hi

In the following map the dotted line shows the approximate German front line on 27th July 1918. Shows what a good job the Guards did on that day

Regards

Martin

Thanks guys. This is just what I was looking for.

Val Smith

sadly the coldstream records for those killed are in 2 parts - surnames starting with H at this date are in the missing book

• 2 weeks later...

Similar to martin's map in post #4, this German map shows the approx frontlineas on 14th April 1918 ...

post-357-0-35980200-1307968357.jpg