Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Does this farm have a name?

CROONAERT

The farm buildings depicted on the trenchmap extract below were the PC of Lt.Col.Mariani of the 268 RI during the French counter-attacks near Lizerne/Het Sas (28th - 29h April 1915) that established the line in this area that was to remain until July 1917. However, I can't find a reference to its actual name... any ideas?

thanks,

Dave

post-357-0-62268900-1306315551.jpg

Hi Dave,

I have just read the 268 RI JMO (war diary) and there's no name given to the farm, on the 28 April 1915 it says that the "Lt Colonel Mariani had set his headquaters in front of the Colleague House, 400m from the german lines, a dangerous but excellent observation position"

On the map attached it's just called "maison du Colonel":

Sly

post-20268-0-09744400-1306322442.jpg

Thanks Sly. That was actually the source that enabled me to pinpoint its exact position but, as you say, it appears unnamed in there. I was hoping that it maybe 'adopted' a name (even later on during the war) so I could refer to it as such in a write-up that I have to do. I might just call it 'PC Mariani' for reference if nothing turns up.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

On a French WW1 forum there is someone who is working on the French invovlement in the area in April 1915, I will ask him if ever he knows this location

Sly

Sorry, Dave, can't help. I have just gone through all (yes, all) my Boezinge maps, but no name ...

Not even in : Docteur Nel, Boesinghe ou les combats de la 87e Division Territorliale sur l'Yser [= Canal de l'Yser], Rennes, 1922, where all (yes, all) farms have a name. Except ... one.

Aurel

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks anyway chaps.

(Thanks also for posting my query on the thread on Forum pages 14-18, Sly ( though I feel a bit of a fraud as I should have done that myself, I suppose - I'm also a member on there!... I liked the comment that if 'Croonaert doesn't know, then who does?'... that quite amused me!:lol: )

Cheers.

Dave