The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Wounded at Gallipoli 1915-9th Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment

stuannmc

Hi,

I am hoping someone can help me.

I am researching my Grandfather, Samuel(Sam)Taylor. He was in the 9th Battalion West Yorkshire Regt.

He was wounded by a sniper 2 Sept 1915 at Gallipoli.

He returned home to England 8 October 1915. I would like to try and trace his whereabouts from when he was injured until

his return home to England. Including any time spent in Hospital ships or hospitals home and abroad.

I have copies of his Service records which unfortunately give no indication as to where he was after being injured.

I would appreciate any input.

Thankyou,

Ann

(Melbourne, Aust)

Hi Ann,

I am a bit of a novice in this area. However, I had a Gt Uncle who was also wounded about the same time and he was with the 8th Battalion, The Duke of Wellingtons, West Riding Regiment who along with the 9th WYR from memory were part of the 11th Northern Division when they landed at Sulva Bay.

I am going from memory as I am away from my research at the moment, however when I get back (hopefully tomorrow) I will have a better look for you.

Regards

Andy

Thanks Andy.

Any help would be very much appreciated. I am also a novice at this.

What I am trying to find out is what my Grandfathers movements were from when he was injured until his return home to England(approx 1 month). I would also like to try and find out more about his injury and how he was treated.

Thanks again,

Ann

Hello Ann

Four men were wounded on this date, 2nd September 1915, whilst improving trenches.

Snipers and artillery in this sector at this period are very active.

Best wishes.

Chris.

Thankyou Chris.

Would you know how to find out which hospital he was moved to?

Thanks again, Ann.

Hi Ann,

My grandfather was in Gallipoli on Sept. 19/20 and contracted Pyrexia (Typhoid, I think) in October. He was on two hospital ships around that time. He was assessed on the H.S. Glenark Castle, was sent to a hospital in Malta and was returned to London on the H.S. Nevassa. Not much to go on but we know these ships were in the area around that time.

Welcome to the Forum and good luck in the hunt,

shawn

Hello Ann.

As shawn has posted, yes, most probably through Malta, however, i would determine that his time spent here was short, maybe less than a week.

As for where Samuel was wounded, i did make some notes yesterday evening, Kisla Dagli or more than likely the correct spelling is Kizlar Dagh. Possibly evacuated via "C" Beach. Maybe someone with a more better knowledge of the Turkish language than i can translate, but, i think the 'Dagli' or 'Dagh' refers to 'mountain.'

Just to add Ann, what is Samuel's service number?

My best wishes.

Chris.

10258 arrived Balkans 10/7/15 discharged due to wounds....Of more intrest on MIC as Deserted struck through.

The 10258 number gives enlistment as 12/8/1914, also alot of the 102** numbers went to the 9th Battalion.

Catch up soon Chris.

Ca Ira

Regards Kevin

Hi Kevin

Yes, i was waiting for your post. Good to see you back on the Forum.

The number looks like a Leeds number, maybe very early, August 1914.

It's a 'funny thing' with the 9th, Serial Numbers are issued in what can only be described as a very 'regional' issue if that makes sense.

I look forward, as always, to your input.

My very best wishes, as always,

Chris.

Ca Ira!

Service record states Leeds enlistment, correct as always Chris.

As for numbers been regional, at this stage Aug 1914 it would very well be as the large intakes coming in from Leeds, Bradford ect. The Leeds [Hunslet] intake coming in as one, anynother district as one [ect] [ect], and again with the Bradford Districts again as one ect ect. It does make sense and a very good topic to look into when concerning the early numbering of the West Yorks.

Regards Kevin

Hi,

Thankyou everyone for your input, very much appreciated. It is quite early in the morning over here in Melb, I have read all the posts and will get back to you all later through the day. Thanks again!!

Hi,

Thanks everyone for your input.

My Grandfathers service no was: 8927(2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Rgt.), enlisted 2 Sept 1908. He was 16(nearly 17) on enlistment, not 18yrs 3 months as listed.

He was "discharged at Malta at his own request on payment of 18 pounds under article 1058(1)Royal warrant for pay" 27 Dec 1912.

Could someone please explain what this means?????

This record also states that he was previously in the 3rd Battalion Yorkshire Rgt(assuming it was prior to 1908). Can anyone shed any light on this too??

He then rejoined 12 August 1914, service no: 10258. Arriving in the Balkans July 1915.

From what I can determine, after he was wounded(2 Sept 1915, Suvla Bay) he returned home 8 Oct 1915. He was then reposted to the 3rd Battalion West Yorkshire Rgt at Whitley Bay, 3 March 1916.

I know that he suffered terribly from PTSD as so many of them did(I would like to try and find out where he was convalescing). It appears that he did not rejoin the battalion when he should have(3 March 1916). This would account for his 'desertion'. And then discharged 27 May 1916 under medical grounds.

I never met my Grandfather and it is important to me to try and learn as much as I can about him through his records.

Thankyou to everyone again for your input and I look forward to learning more with your help.

Regards,

Ann

Good evening Ann.

I will try to answer a few of your points.

The 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment, prior to the Great War had served not only in Malta but also in India.

As regards Samuels discharge, i am quite unfamiliar with this scenario but is this in effect akin to 'buying oneself out,' before your period of service has ended? Somebody will no doubt be able to provide a more definitive answer.

As regards 3rd Battalion Yorkshire Regiment, i do believe this refers to the 3rd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment Volunteers, a kind of forerunner of the Territorial Force and subject, as the old Militia were, to the Haldane Reforms.

Jumping forward somewhat, 3rd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment remained at Home during the War and performed coastal defence duties in the north-east hence Whitley Bay. As for convalescing, i did only recently come across an article of a 3rd West Yorks chap at Tynemouth Hospital, however, Kevin will be able to provide you with more details about the north-east and the West Yorks.

I hope that helps a little.

Best wishes and good luck.

Chris.

Thanks Chris.

It is all very interesting and very helpful.