Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3/5th Btn Lancs Fusiliers

RammyLad1

Please can anyone provide any details as to the involvement of the 3/5 Lancs in the battle of Poelcapelle,in particular for the 9th-10th oct 1917?

Any details would be much appreciated.

Thanks Duncan.

Duncan. The 3/5th were involved in an attack on Augustus Wood Passchendaele 9th-10th October. One MC, one DCM and eighteen MMs awarded to them. I can photograph the relevant pages and email them if you wish ( don't know how to upload them on here, not that computer literate) Ralph.

Ralph

PM sent

Thanks Duncan

Ralph

Got the details and I have downloaded them, They are just the thing I need.

Thanks Ralph

Regards Duncan

Further details of the whole action are given in the excellent LF Regimental History, based on the War Diaries of the various LF territorial battalions involved and other material, which includes a vivid account by the 3/5th's Medical Officer Captain Sandiford. The route of the attack is easy to follow on the ground from close to Tyne Cot cemetry along the disused railway line towards Passchendaele, now a cycle/footpath. I have retraced the attack four times, twice on my school battlefield tours in 2002 and 2007. The body of an unidentified LF, probably from 3/5th, was discovered when the path was being repaired a few years ago and reburied with full military honours in Tyne Cot. Although the attack failed, 3/5th actually reached their objective before being forced to fall back and a patrol led by Bury Grammar School old boy Frank Bentley penetrated as far as Passchendaele village, a month before its capture by the Canadians. He won the MC and reputedly LF bodies were found in the ruins of the village by the Canadians in November. There is a wonderful 66th Div memorial window in Passchendaele Church commemorating the 9th October attack which features the coat of arms of the Lancashire towns from which the men came, including Bury. I have an amazing aerial photo taken by the RFC of the Tyne Cot area on the day after the attack in which you can make out the helmets of LFs sheltering in shell holes. There have been several previous threads about this action, some started by me, which you may find on a search of e.g. 'Bentley'.

Mark

Thankyou for the additional information. It appears that the BGSOB certainly paid a heavy price in the great war and the school should rightly honour their sacrifice.

Duncan