Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1913 bayonet

ASA1

Can anyone help identifying these markings? Presumably the 12 16 means it was manufactured in December 1916?

The marking on the scabbard is very small but is a crown with a 4 beneath it and I think 13 beneath that. On the blade under the crown it looks like B1 although the '1' is very faint and hasn't shown up on the picture.

post-39874-0-23755900-1306259170.jpg

post-39874-0-78176700-1306259180.jpg

post-39874-0-26953100-1306259186.jpg

post-39874-0-29938400-1306259191.jpg

Many thanks,

Andy

The bayonet was issued to the 4th Batt. Lancashire Regiment and the "214" is the rack number. The Inspector's mark that you thought might be a "13" is in fact a "B" for Birmingham which suggests to me that you actually have a P.'07 scabbard for your bayonet. you will see that the Inspector's mark on the bayonet has an "A" for the inspector's location, i.e. America.

Pattern '13 bayonets with regimental markings are relatively scarce, my own having been issued to the 4th North Staffs.

Regards

TonyE

Andy

It is a Remington (in the US) made British Pattern 1913 Bayonet for the Pattern 1914 Rifle.

You are correct that 12 '16 indicates it was manufactured in December of 1916

The other markings are inspection marks (applied during the manufacturing) and the X indicates the blade passed the bend test.

The stamping on the hilt is a unit mark - it appears to read 4 Lan which would be the 4th Battalion, [then I am not sure Lan could be Royal Lancaster Regiment, Lancashire Fusiliers?,] weapon number 214.

If I recall correctly TonyE or someone else on the forum has a similarly marked bayonet.

Chris

SNAP!!

Edited by 4thGordons

Thanks for the quick responses! The scabbard has a stitched 'ridge' on one side and a teardrop-shaped 'button' (sorry not sure of the correct term!) - does that help clarify if its a P1907?

Thanks for the quick responses! The scabbard has a stitched 'ridge' on one side and a teardrop-shaped 'button' (sorry not sure of the correct term!) - does that help clarify if its a P1907?

The scabbards for the P1907 and P1913 bayonets are identical and interchangeable.

I believe what TonyE meant was that this was probably not the scabbard that came with the Bayonet originally as it marked with a British stamp and not the Remington RE mark. Such things are only of interest to collectors now and would not have mattered at all (or been noticed) in service.

The "button" is usually referred to as the frog-stud (as it is used to secure the scabbard into the "frog" - the part of the equipment that attaches it to the belt) The metal top of the scabbard is referred to as the locket and the tip as the chape. The stitching is usually referred to simply as the seam.

Chris

Chris - thanks for clearing that up and for the extra info.

Andy

Also, any tips on cleaning/maintenance? The blade is a bit rusty...

Also, any tips on cleaning/maintenance? The blade is a bit rusty...

Fine wire wool, well lubricated with oil. Scrub with a moderate pressure and then wipe off the dirty oil. Repeat if necessary. I've been cleaning guns and bayonets in this way for years and it's a very sympathetic way to clean blued metal.

Long term; give the metal an occasional wipe of oil and don't keep it anywhere cold / damp.

Thanks pereginvs

Thanks pereginvs

I forgot to mention: if the wooden grips are dry, apply linseed oil, allow to soak in and then wipe off the excess and allow to dry. Repeat if required.