Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Badge I.D. question - for a bit of fun

Cossack Wolf

Right then,

Here's a pic (admittedly small due it being cropped out of the main picture) of a badge - now here's the fun bit - who can give me an i.d. of the badge, era of said badge, & finally nationaility of the the wearer!

I will post the full pic after the nearest correct guess which should amuse a few of you! It is a genuine period photo with no 'doctoring' involved!

All the best....Andy

post-65942-0-66720900-1306068614.jpg

Can identify it as a "Tank Corps" badge, but to which nationality would be a bit difficult if not the UK and would hazard a guess at the the U.S.Army, whom I believe were trained in the use of tanks by British instructors. However this is purely guessing on my part as the badge does look like our "Tanky" badge.

Just to play Devil's Advocate Yes its a WW1 era British Tankers Sleeve Badge but Id hazard a guess it's being worn by a German?? [possibly in WW2??]

:devilgrin:

Yep, spot on with it being a WWI British tank badge & as a clue it is being worn just after that period & not by a German :)

Bolshevik. Maybe from a captured British tank and crew?

You are so close - you have got where the tanks were just the wrong side :)

Our side? White Russian...?

BINGO! Well here he is - Russian White Army Officer circa 1920 - GB supplied both Tanks & personnel particularly to South Russia - this chap clearly part of one of the units supplied with tanks & must have been given the badge to wear by the British liason troops. I also had at one time a Russian White Army overcoat with the British NREF insignia on it!!

Hope you enjoyed that for something a bit different smile.gif

post-65942-0-35697300-1306079985.jpg

That is one amazing picture. Sadly, I bet nothing good befell that officer in the end..

He may have been one of the lucky ones that made it out into emigration alive - I have some pics somewhere of Russian White Army troops in full British kit but with their own insignia, maybe I should get them scanned if they are likely to be of interest.

Definite interest!

I've seen a lot of uniform photos from WW1, but I don't think that I've ever seen what you're describing.