Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vickers Pattern 1913 bayonet

sawdoc34

Pics of offending bayonet, more pitting than the seller told me but what the hell, will do until I can find a better example.

Questions is sould I try to clean it up or just try to stop any further deterioration?

Cheers,

Aleck

DSCN4583.jpg

DSCN4586.jpg

DSCN4584.jpg

Pics of offending bayonet, more pitting than the seller told me but what the hell, will do until I can find a better example.

Questions is sould I try to clean it up or just try to stop any further deterioration?

Cheers,

Aleck

The bayonet still looks right to me Aleck - obviously the damage has already been done with the visible pitting destroying some of its value.

However it is still a very scarce item and as such is less dependent on its overall condition. Being so rare it still holds considerable value as is.

This also creates its own dilemna as to how much you are prepared to clean it. You want to prevent further deterioration without damaging any value.

With something like this I would simply oil it liberally, leave for a while and then rub it off with a cotton cloth, checking for any rust spots and discolouration.

I would not be using any wire-wool on this one as it looks as though the seller may have cleaned it up fairly well already. Sadly you can't fix up the pitting.

The worst spot needing some attention appears to be the grip screws. Apply a couple drops of oil to those to soften the gunk and try to remove some of it.

I use a wooden toothpick to get in there and loosen up the crud. If you don't get rid of that it will continue to rust and cause further unsightly deterioration.

The question of cleaning always comes down to personal preference. It's yours so do what you want with it but you may want to sell it again at some point.

It then pays to consider what a possible future buyer may think is important. In this case you definitely don't want to be destroying any of its present value.

Personally I think it looks reasonably good and quite acceptable as it is (and for what it is).

Cheers, S>S

Cheers for the advice Shippingsteel, will give it a go with the oil/toothpick on the grip screws (nice tip). This will probably be sitting in the collection for some time (cant remember seeing another Vickers P1913 before I stumbled on this) before I can find a better example, so will have to protect against further rusting.

Welshdoc, not really sure how much these are worth myself (I think what I paid was a bargain but maybe not to others), seen far more hooked quillion P1907s but P1913s seem less desirable, probably due to No1 series rifles being the mainstay of most WW1 British/Commonwealth forces. Wether these rarer Vickers types command anything near the prices paid for hooked quillion P1907s remains to be seen until 1 appears on Epay, maybe they should just be appreciated for what they are rather than their monetary value.

• 1 month later...

Not really sure how much these are worth myself (I think what I paid was a bargain but maybe not to others), seen far more hooked quillion P1907s but P1913s seem less desirable.

Probably due to No1 series rifles being the mainstay of most WW1 British/Commonwealth forces.

Wether these rarer Vickers types command anything near the prices paid for hooked quillion P1907s remains to be seen until 1 appears on Epay.

Well wouldn't you know it, there just happens to be one of these EXACT same bayonets listed on Ebay at the moment .... :whistle:

This should be a great opportunity to gauge what they are worth - (don't s'pose there's any chance of a commission.???) :ph34r:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-WW1-British-Vickers-P1913-bayonet

Cheers, S>S

S>S,

that could well be the 1 that I had, pitting to the blade was doing my head in, so traded it at a fair for an Indian 1A1 & L2A3.

Was to good an offer to turn down, will have to wait & see how it goes on epay but looks like I did ok out of the deal :whistle:

Any way I am more looking forward to nearly completing my P1888 collection this month, the mk1 type1 should be here tomorrow :D & mk3 deal should hopefully be done within next 2 weeks.

Archived