Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officers or Officer's

dutchbarge

Hello, In all of the references I have seen the uniform worn by officers is described as OFFICERS Service Dress. As a point of grammar I would have thought that OFFICER'S Service Dress would be correct. Am I missing something or has the non-possessive spelling just passed into common use with time? When describing a particular officer's jacket which would be more appropriate, Colonel Blimp's officer's/officers service dress jacket or, as we know he is an officer by the Colonel before his name, Colonel Blimp's service dress jacket. Cheers, Bill

The third option is, of course, Officers'. Depends whether you mean a jacket belonging to an officer (so Officer's), or to a group of officers (Officers'). In the example you give, I would think it perfectly self-evident that it is an officer's-style jacket; I would identify it were the good Colonel wearing a Tommy's jacket :lol:

Personally, to answer the question, I would say Officer's, as we are describing a jacket worn by AN officer, of a pattern worn by all officers.

Hello, In all of the references I have seen the uniform worn by officers is described as OFFICERS Service Dress. As a point of grammar I would have thought that OFFICER'S Service Dress would be correct. I am I missing something or has the non-possessive spelling just passed into common use with time? When describing a particular officer's jacket which would be more appropriate, Colonel Blimp's officer's/officers service dress jacket or, as we know he is an officer by the Colonel before his name, Colonel Blimp's service dress jacket. Cheers, Bill

As there are more than one officer for whom the dress would be appropriate - would it not be "Officers'[plural possessive] Service Dress" when referring to the style of jacket (worn by all officers) rather than a garment belonging to a particular individual?

Perhaps the whole question could be avoided by using the sort of format on some later labels. Service Dress: Officers (for the use of)

Chris

OOPS snap!

Perhaps the whole question could be avoided by using the sort of format on some later labels. Service Dress: Officers (for the use of)

Chris

I think it's this usage but "Officers" has been moved to the front of the phrase for some reason, perhaps because it's simpler to say. If that makes sense.

Hello, In all of the references I have seen the uniform worn by officers is described as OFFICERS Service Dress. As a point of grammar I would have thought that OFFICER'S Service Dress would be correct. I am I missing something or has the non-possessive spelling just passed into common use with time? When describing a particular officer's jacket which would be more appropriate, Colonel Blimp's officer's/officers service dress jacket or, as we know he is an officer by the Colonel before his name, Colonel Blimp's service dress jacket. Cheers, Bill

The use of apostrophes seems to have fallen into disuse in much nomenclature, but within the Army we would still try to abide by the form mentioned by 4th Gordons and only use the possessive to relate to the officer who is named, as in - Major Jones's, Officers' (as in pattern) Service Dress jacket.

Officers' Service Dress - unless prefixed by an or the. Antony

Officers' Service Dress - unless prefixed by an or the. Antony

I agree with "an" but not "the". It could still be correct to say "the officers' (as in pattern for all) service dress".

Officers used as an adjective to characterise the object. Officer's belonging to a particular officer and officers' belonging to a group of officers. The different words are not exclusive.

Officers used as an adjective to characterise the object. Officer's belonging to a particular officer and officers' belonging to a group of officers. The different words are not exclusive.

Precisely!

Thank you all for your help. It seems pretty straightforward grammar. Cheers, Bill

Thank you all for your help. It seems pretty straightforward grammar. Cheers, Bill

Unless you are a British Greengrocer and constitutionally obliged to misplace your apostrophes.

Unless you are a British Greengrocer and constitutionally obliged to misplace your apostrophes.

Tread carefully, all of them greengrocer's is hero's.

I agree with "an" but not "the". It could still be correct to say "the officers' (as in pattern for all) service dress".

Fine point taken. Would the capitalisation change that? Antony

Fine point taken. Would the capitalisation change that? Antony

I don't think so, but then I would not consider myself in any way an expert on the finer points of grammar. All I can say with certainty is that what I quoted is certainly how it is used within the Service.