Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Leeds Pals Memorial Ceremony

Chad

Chad, post details on the calendar on the Forum.

My better half is a District Nurse that works Sunday, give some times etc. Try and meet up.

Chris.

Chris,

Sunday July 11th @ 3pm.

Directions to the event: Take the A6108 from Ripon. Immediately after Masham turn left and proceed through the villages of Fearby & Healey. Continue past a right turning marked Ellingstring until reaching a fork in the road. Take the left (not the one marked Colsterdale). After a short downhill stretch take an obscure turning on the right marked Breary Banks which is a gated road. The Cairn is up on the hill.

I am in the area in any case on Sunday visiting my Sister, so if you do get the chance, it would be nice to meet up. I cannot see there will be masses there, so a brief description as follows: Brown hair, glasses, just over 6 foot tall & wearing black jacket.

Cheers

Chad

I live in the area (Bedale, used to live in Masham) and will try and get there. If you have time to pay your respects there are some Great War graves in the parish church in Healey and Masham. Details can be found on the CWGC site.

Also if you go please spare a thought for Hans Otto Ludwig Wisseler. Who ended his days in Colsterdale and was the subject of this thread,

http://1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?showt...770&hl=wisseler

Roger.

I'll see you there Chad.

Brief description, 5 5", short hair and i'll carry a copy of 'Stand To', just to be sure.

Yee Gods!!

We'll look like 'Little and Large' :o

See you Sunday.

Chris.

Guest David Whithorn

I am glad to hear of the ceremony to commemorate the Leeds Pals, I wish I could come. Being from Bradford, the Pals (and the 1/6th and 2/6th West Yorks!) have always been rather special for me. Indeed, my most precious possesion is one of the original Leeds Pals bugles (presented by Ald. Tetley of the Raising Committee). It still sounds fine. All being well, it will sound the Last Post once more on 1st July 2006 at Serre at sunset for all the Pals battalions who fell there exactly 90 years before.

A most moving ceremony and well attended, despite the torrential downpour.

S**s law, my camera packed in, so unfortunately no pictures.

Nice to meet another 'Baker Pal', namely 'Chad'.

David, any chance of posting a photo of the bugle on the Forum? Really would like to see it.

Roger, thanks for the info on the Great War graves, hope to be back in the area next weekend for the Masham steam rally so will make a point of looking then.

Remembering Tom Willey and 13th Platoon who on going 'over the top' shouted, 'Come on 13. Give them Hell!'

Chris.

Guest David Whithorn

Here should be a couple of photos of my Leeds Pals bugle. Tricky object to photo (I cannot claim any credit for the photo). In case the wording is not clear, the legend reads: LEEDS BATT WEST YORKS REGT PRESENTED BY C.F.TETLEY J.P.' It is also possible to see part of the makers mark of KITCHEN & Co. LEEDS partly hidden by the brass reinforcement of the bell end (I am not technically up on musical instruments!). I found it in an antique shop passing through SETTLE nearly 20 years ago, it was in the shop window, my wife and I waited nearly 2 hours for the shop to open! There are good references/photos in L.Milner's book on the Leeds Pals. Their first bugle was presented by the Lord Mayor (Firth). There is a nice photo of the Leeds Pals bugles and drums band in the same book. I would be very interested if you have more info.

post-19-1089736088.jpg

Hi David.

Can't provide any info on the bugle apart from this.

I was taught to play the trumpet at about the age of 7 years. My first instrument, you guessed it, was bought for me by my Father at Kitchens, Leeds, circa, 70's.

I don't happen to know if the firm is still trading. I should imagine though, that if it is, they would have kept a record of the purchase?

Regards, Chris.

Guest David Whithorn

Chris,

Sadly, no sign from a Google search for Kitchen and Co, may have gone west. So near and so far...

Roger, thanks for the info on the Great War graves, hope to be back in the area next weekend for the Masham steam rally so will make a point of looking then.

Chris,

You should be able to find the graves easily enough. (I was married in the church there, in case you're interested :P )

Also of interest in the area is Roomer Common, just outside Masham on the Grewelthorpe road. This is where 35th (Bantam) Div were camped.

Be sure to have a pint of Theakstons, my Grandfathers tipple before and after the war. His name (Percy Newsome) is on a plaque in Masham town Hall of men from Masham who served.

Roger.

Roger.

One of my favourite 'wets'.

I'll raise a glass to Percy you can be assured. I would be interested if you have any further info on 'The Bantams' in the area.

'God's own country'.

Kindest regards mate.

Chris.

One of my favourite 'wets'.

You're not a Matelot or a Bootneck are you Chris?

I'm more of a Black Sheep man myself.

There isn't much in the Div history of the 35th Div's stay in Masham.

Major General R J Pinney who had been commanding the 23rd Brigade, 8th Div. in France was appointed to command and took up his duties on July 4th in Masham.

Also there was a service on Roomer Common taken by the Archbishop of York and the Bishop of Ripon before their departure to France.

Not much at all I'm afraid.

Have you seen the Canadian Mounted Rifles thread? Another man on the Roll of Honour in Fearby village Hall you might be interested in is....

JACKSON, FRED

F

United Kingdom

Private

West Yorkshire Regt. (Prince of Wales's Own)

15th Bn.

01/07/1916

15/1204

Son of John and Jane Ann Jackson, of Spelderbanks, Masham, Yorks.

SERRE ROAD CEMETERY No. 1

He may be a distant relative but as I said in the CMR thread I haven't started any serious research into these men from Fearby yet.

Roger.

Kitchens Music Shop was in what is now the Victorian quarter, in the next street to the old "Mecca arcade". It ceased trading about 10 years ago.

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers for that Charlie.

I sat for hours trying to remember it's location.

The mind isn't what it used to be :unsure:

Regards, Chris.

• 5 months later...

You all seem to be the Leeds Pals Pals, so could one of you please look up 9958 Thomas Queenan of Leeds Pals who died 04/06/1916 and is buried I.P.34 Essex Farm Cemy?

Simon.

:)

Hi Simon.

Unfortunately, your man is 1st Battalion, West Yorkshire Regiment and not 15th. He was killed during the reconnaissance of an enemy position north of Ypres. If you require any details drop me a p.m.

Regards, Chris.

Simon R has performed an illegal mental operation and will now be shut down losing any unsaved information.