Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Howitzer/Mortar ID

4thGordons

At first I though this was a road construction vehicle but period annotation suggests not. Can anyone confirm the identity of this weapon?

I believe it is French and preliminary identified as a "220mm howitzer" can anyone provide me with model or additional details

TIA

Chris

post-14525-0-97897000-1305818424.jpg

The French "220" was an important French artillery piece, along with the "155" (in their materials they rarely wrote "mm"), but I don't know beans about it. I have been reading French war diaries about six hours a day for the last two weeks and one often sees mention of the weapon.

Bob Lembke

I don't believe the barrel (wherever it is) is long enough for a howitzer, even though they were characterised as short-barreled, so would educate a guess at the 220mm morter. Was it a de Flange or something like that? I think Skoda made them, too. Frankly, tho', it's hard to identify any gun part in the photo. Are you sure it's not a road roller? Antony

I don't believe the barrel (wherever it is) is long enough for a howitzer, even though they were characterised as short-barreled, so would educate a guess at the 220mm morter. Was it a de Flange or something like that? I think Skoda made them, too. Frankly, tho', it's hard to identify any gun part in the photo. Are you sure it's not a road roller? Antony

I think it is probably a mortar, although my immediate reaction was it was some sort of road construction equipment. There is one very damaged view of the other side where I think the barrel is visible.

see below. It is being towed behind a lorry. I assume the wheels are removed when the mortar is emplaced.

post-14525-0-23647800-1306080550.jpg

Chris

Were you thinking of the de Bange 220mm mortar? If so it does not, to my inexpert eye, look all that much like the pictures I can find.

Edited by 4thGordons

Hello, Chris. Yes, de Bange (my memory didn't believe that was the real name :lol: ). I believe it was the "famous" French 220. Your second photograph confirms my thought that, in my experience, this wouldn't be a howitzer. This photo is quite close - look at the "handle" on the top - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/220mmMortarBatteriedeSaint-CyrYvelines.jpg . Antony

Hello, Chris. Yes, de Bange (my memory didn't believe that was the real name :lol: ). I believe it was the "famous" French 220. Your second photograph confirms my thought that, in my experience, this wouldn't be a howitzer. This photo is quite close - look at the "handle" on the top - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/99/220mmMortarBatteriedeSaint-CyrYvelines.jpg . Antony

AHahhha - yes missed the handle. Excellent that does look very similar.

Thanks.

Chris