Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

cap badge identity

rumplestiltskin

HI All

Can anyone help with the identity of the cap badge any clue's please TERRY.

post-57860-0-29274900-1305807392.jpeg

Looks like Durham Light Infantry, the photo doesn't look WW1 though.

Sam

It is of the time i think have had to chop it down to get it on the site the full picture shows the soldier with a woman could be his mum.

It is someone in my family but i have no idea who it is it was in my nan's photograph's but she is no longer with us to ask.

The other three members who fought in the great war i know about but this is a mystery.

Terry

If your PC has MS Office Picture Manager, which it probably will unless it is a Mac, right-click on your photo in Windows Explorer and "open with" that program. From the Picture menu, choose Resize and keep cutting it down till it is below 100 KB. I suggest you make a copy for this purpose if you want to keep the larger scan on your PC. You can then post the whole thing and we can probably give you a clear idea of the date.

Regards,

W.

I can't see the letters 'DLI' between the bugle strings which would make it incontrovertibly Durham;

I am more inclined to say Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire Light Infantry.

I can't see the letters 'DLI' between the bugle strings which would make it incontrovertibly Durham..

But it does appear to have a Crown rather than Bugle Cord Ties,which suggest DLI... :thumbsup:

It does seem to have a large top piece to the badge and only the DLI had a crowned bugle horn badge. That said you can see a distinct gap at the bottom which would support the theory of Oxf & Bucks LI.

post-599-0-21148500-1305828067.jpg

post-599-0-42839000-1305828079.jpg

Looks like DLI - but what's the block at the bottom of it? Antony

Looks like DLI - but what's the block at the bottom of it? Antony

The block is a reflection of light on his highly polished leather chin strap.

Thanks for your help i will look at the whole photo to see if any other clue's are there

I'd suggest not a Crown, rather the flash from the camera blurring out the gaps in the OBLI bugle cords.

I'd suggest not a Crown, rather the flash from the camera blurring out the gaps in the OBLI bugle cords.

Yes I think you might well be right. This photo of an Oxf & Bucks man (far right) from the postcards thread shows a similar gap at the bottom of the badge that I feel confirms the original post here as OBLI.

post-599-0-11225700-1305973274.jpg

Thanks very much for your help.

I will now ask relatives to try and find who it is.

• 5 weeks later...

I believe i have finally put a name to the soldier i have looked at his medal card but it does not say what theatre he entered,i cannot find his army record it maybe one of the burnt records.At least i am slowly getting there.