The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Does Anyone Know The Outcome?

Roger34

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the correct section of the site to post this but while clearing out some old papers I found this cutting from about 6 years ago. Can any one tell me if an identification was made or where the solider was laid to rest?

Thank you in advance for your help,

Roger

post-49540-0-75380900-1305801568.jpg

I searched Jeurgen Debeleye who only appears relating to this story.

There is an update below suggesting that, of three candidates, it may be 2nd Lt Tweedy, Lancs Fusiliers, on the basis that he had American posessions and Tweedy's mother was American.

http://www.lancs-fus...F/3-5thBnLF.htm

(I think they must be referring to Lt Charles Francis Tweedy. KIA 9/10/1917.)

EDIT - There's also some further information on this post on a genealogy forum;

http://searches2.rootsweb.com/th/read/TWEEDY/2009-03/1236692819

Perhaps they can now do a DNA test ?

Alas, I suspect that it is far too late for that.

It is highly unlikely that a DNA sample was taken from the remains given that before Fromelles this type of testing was never on the British MoD's radar.

It is a great pity because Tweedy's family in the 1911 census furnished several Y and Mito lines that were traceable via three brothers and a sister of Charles.

It looks as if the mother, Feliza, was Chilean rather than American.

Mel

Thank you for all the info'. So it seems that it most likely is Lt. Tweedy, but the relative came foreward after the burial. I don't suppose that a sample would have been kept before burial incase of future DNA testing?

As the grave is now an unknown how would you id it in Tyne Cot?

Thanks,

Roger

Since the CWGC buried him, presumably they could tell you where this 'unknown' is to be found, given that you have details of when and where the body was found.

he is buried at tyne cot, the unknown lancashire found in the old railway embankment, He had some personel belongs with him to make it for sure he is an officer, but they didn't identify him, a pitty

I see on the picture franky bostyn

kind regards

sabine

he is buried at tyne cot, the unknown lancashire found in the old railway embankment, He had some personel belongs with him to make it for sure he is an officer, but they didn't identify him, a pitty

I see on the picture franky bostyn

kind regards

sabine

Agreed, but since he was buried recently-ish and was a one off, they should know exactly where in Tyne Cot he is buried.

sure they do, I know where he is, but a bit hard to explain

you know the original cem between cross and stone he is there close to where the

level changes ther are a few rows, at the end of one row I look up the right location

sabine