Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medals wanted

kbjoslin

I have my Grandfather's 1914-15 star and Long Service/Good Conduct medal, but not his war or victory medals. He was evidently mentioned in despatches for leading a mounted counter-attack against the Germans. My father tells me that he told the story that he was mounted and a shell burst behind his horse, a fragment of which hit the horse in the rear causing it to bolt, he was surprised (and later amused)to find that he had been joined by others in the successful 'counter attack'.

Hi, I tried searching for your grandfather's 'Mentions in Dispatches' in the London Gazette but without success (usual story!)

The LG brought up 42 hits for the surname Joslin for WW1, but I couldn't find your relative. The LG is notoriously difficult to navigate, some people have mastered it but not me yet!

Good luck with finding the missing BWM & Victory. If you're unlucky the BWM may have been melted down for its silver content, but the Victory should have survived and is probably sat in somebody's collection.

Thank you for that. Your efforts are much appreciated. I have been finding out a bit more about the man. His service number was T/20553 Army Service Corps and I now have a copy of his medal card, although I'm not too sure what the abbreviations and symbols mean, My father tells me that he was a pre-war regular and probably not my type of person at all as he was evidently 'busted' to Corporal in Malta for beating up a maid. My father was born at Curragh in County Kildare, which also seems to indicate that on leaving the army in 1920, he served as a 'Black & Tan' - something that would not have been made public knowledge as part of my family are Irish Catholic. More work needed here I think...

post-9970-0-02293100-1306303218.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I found him being mentioned in the London Gazette for being mentioned in despatches. A certain MIC, different to the one he has for his campaign medals, indicates it was put in the London Gazette on 14th June 1918 on page 7055 but it actually appears on the 11th June 1918 page 7055.

Tom

post-72210-0-89657200-1307287764.png

Hi,

I found him being mentioned in the London Gazette for being mentioned in despatches. A certain MIC, different to the one he has for his campaign medals, indicates it was put in the London Gazette on 14th June 1918 on page 7055 but it actually appears on the 11th June 1918 page 7055.

Tom

Thanks Tom, that's really a great help!

Kevin