Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

named medal info

JASONRAMBO

hi, i have a victorian( jubilee head, c ), for long service in the volunteer force medal with just a name but no regiment or number ( william henry blocksidge)can anyone give me any info about him- thanks

It may be worth checking Ancestry or the National Archive for him it is an unusual name....

HB

thanks, i have checked national archive and is one named but how can i link it if i only have his name on the edge? why does it not have his reg and number on it.

hi, i have a victorian( jubilee head, c ), for long service in the volunteer force medal with just a name but no regiment or number ( william henry blocksidge)can anyone give me any info about him- thanks

It may be a re-named medal.......not saying it is, it may be. He may have lost his original medal, or sold it for silver content during hard times and then regretted it, bought someone elses and had it erased and re-named. Does the rim look thinner where the naming is?

Are you able to provide a photo of the naming on the rim and post here, can quickly tell you if this is the case. It's also unusual to have his full name on the rim rather than W.H. BLOCKSIDGE. Also as you point out, there should be a reg't number, rank & regiment included.

From the information you have given, this medal doesn't pass the 'sniff test' in terms of being original issue.

I may be incorrect but I believe the Vol Force Long Service medals were issued unnamed and many were subsequently privately impressed or engraved. That would explain the non-uniform details on the rim.

I think maybe both Ken. I used to have a Volunteer Force LSGC medal officially impressed to a Pte Bottomley of the West Riding VB

But I also think I've seen the odd unnamed example of this medal.

A quick search on a popular medal dealer's catalogue shows the following, all officially impressed to give an example of what the naming should look like (no regimental number I note):

Volunteer Force Long Service. Victoria. Sgt. W. Brown. 3rd V.B. H.L.I.

Volunteer Force Long Service. Victoria. Cpl. D. Ferguson. 3rd V.B. H.L.I.

Volunteer Force Long Service. Victoria. Sgt. P. McLeish. 1st V.B. H.L.I.

Volunteer Force Long Service. Victoria. Pte. J. Purdie. 1/Dumb/Ts V.R.C.

Volunteer Force Long Service. Victoria. Pte. J. McIntosh. 4/V.B. A. & S. Highrs

Volunteer Force Long Service. Victoria. Pte. L. McLean. 1st Lanark V.R.C.

THE VLSM [QV] was awarded both impressed & unamed & consequently are seen "privately" named [impressed or engraved] & remaining unamed :poppy: ,which probably explains the lack of Regimental detail on your example,If his papers do not survive at Ancestry,it may prove difficult to trace his regiment,however if you can trace his birth place & residence in the various Census returns this should help as the Volunteers were "Local" Forces;very like the later TF & men enlisted into it where they lived & worked

thanks everyone for the great info, i will also put photo's on as well as soon as possible- thanks

Well the photo of the naming on the rim is a little blurry, but it looks to be privately engraved to me.

Well the photo of the naming on the rim is a little blurry, but it looks to be privately engraved to me.

And to me.