The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Which Cemetery

jainvince

Travelling to Arras from the Somme (we had been to Hebuterne) we stopped to look at this cemetery with Red Headstones. However, cannot find my notes so which Cemetery is it, please?

Bernard

post-23884-0-60368600-1305663660.jpg

sorry cannot help but what is the significance of the red stones

As far as I can recall, it was an attempt by the CWGC to reduce costs of maintaining the white headstones and a number of cemeteries where converted in the 80s - most famously Bailleulmont Comm Extn, with its famous 'Shot at Dawn' casualty, the only one, so far as I know, with an epitaph specifically stating the fact. This might be Mazingarbe (oops, Martinsart - thanks Sue), but it seems a strange way back to Arras from Hebuterne.

My link

etc

Tom

Sorry but it is definitely not Martinsart. We had been to a couple of areas where the Gloucesters retired to when not at the front and where they had been buried and then set the Sat-Nav for Arras. Whilst driving there I spotted the red headstones in a cemetery quite high up on the left hand side which resulted in a speedy halt to take a picture. The cemetery was next to a local cemetery. But which one I do not have a clue.

Bernard

PS Martinsart has many more graves. The Cross of Sacrifice is just out of shot on the right which does not marry up with Martinsart.

Bernard

can you read any of the names on the headstones? If so, just check it up on the CWGC site and...voila!!!

Dave

Dave

Thought of that but cannot read even on the original. However, my travelling companion also took a photo and his notes advise:

Courcelles - au - bois.

Memory in old age played a trick on me. the cemetery is located between Bertrancourt and Hebuterne and we by chance passed as we were following in his father's footsteps as a Private in the Gloucestershire Regiment.

Many thanks to all who gave their time. So now we know of two red headstone cemeteries.

Bernard

This one, perhaps ..

post-108-0-32393400-1305753939.jpg

post-108-0-37698300-1305753990.jpg

• Admin

Hi,

This is my almost identical photo taken in March at Courcelles-au-Bois cemetery, it's got to be the place hasn't it?

My attention was drawn in the visitors book to a soldier buried here from Langrick, Lincolnshire, William Henry Wilkinson, 4535 West Yorkshire Regiment 6th February 1917 which is consistent with other dates on adjacent headstones but when I got home a check on the Roll of Honour, Lincolnshire, Langrick, website gave the named soldier as being in 4th Btn Lincolnshire Regiment, 13th October 1915 which would have been at the Hohenzollern Redoubt, and mentioned on the Loos Memorial to the Missing. Any ideas??

We stayed in Courcelles-au-Bois at the L'Amartinierre B&B. We can only highly recommend this B&B, www.bedandbreakfastsomme.com

Regards, Chris'n'Viv.

post-48739-0-40962100-1305752796.jpg

As far as I can recall, it was an attempt by the CWGC to reduce costs of maintaining the white headstones and a number of cemeteries where converted in the 80s - most famously Bailleulmont Comm Extn, with its famous 'Shot at Dawn' casualty, the only one, so far as I know, with an epitaph specifically stating the fact. This might be Mazingarbe (oops, Martinsart - thanks Sue), but it seems a strange way back to Arras from Hebuterne.

Thanks Nigel