Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

101 Fuze

Rob Heanley

I found a very knocked about fuze near Aveluy in a ditch. Its proving very difficult to clean, reveal markings and identify. This is due to it being not only in mud but also variously underwater for 95 years. I think its 101 (but will attach photo later (not that it will be much to go on)).

My question relates to the metals used over different marks of the 101. The one I have is brass capped (with grove across tip) but the body of the fuze is a different metal, possibly steel.

Did some of the later marks use brass on top and a cheaper metals underneath?

Thanks,

Rob

I'm now back home from Ypres, any chance of a photo.

John

thanks for your interest.

I've plopped it in vinegar for several days (probably over did it) but since uncovered what I am sure is the marking identifying it as a 101. Although there is a big scar across the marking but I think its the right shape and appearance to be a 101 Fuze. I am though curious about the metals used. This image helps a litte but the metal making up the main body is I think steel and the cap (clearly showing an impact) is brass. I think its 1916 made but not sure where the date would be stamped.

Any info welcome.

post-38159-0-85130900-1306281467.jpg

There were five types of 101 Fuzes all graze type fuzes, 101 used on HE shell generally. Differs from 100 fuze in not having a "cocked pellet" and was designed to overcome the 100's drawbacks. Has a knurled or grooved ring around body to distinguish from the 100 fuze. Fuze 101O HE shell generally, Swiss made by Zenithy and Piccard-Pictet. Although the change was not generally approved, these fuzes were of such a high standard of manufacture that a consession was granted and the fuzes were accepted. 101B Heavy Howitzer HE Shell similar to 101 but with a weaker arming spring to function at a lower velocity. 101BX used on 12in Railway Gun HE Shell for use in Railway Guns with arming spring 75% stronger than usual. Marked by two knurled rings one of which is painted red. 101E HE shells generally. 101 with the3 addition of a spin controlled safety shutter opening at 2000 rpm. I have yet to come across a 101 or 102 fuze with a steel body./

John

PS photo of a 102 fuze

post-1365-0-06536500-1306347183.jpg

Thanks John,

thats really useful and detailed information. I like your example of the 102. Did you clean that from relic condition? If so its a very good result. How did you achieve it?

I do you know if later Fuze No.s did use steel under a brass cap. As you can see the example I have is clearly two metals. Perhaps the body isn't steel but its certainly not brass.

Very interesting to have your record of which 101 fuzes were used with which guns.

Rob

Here are two photo's of one of my 101 fuzes it was manufactured in 12/16 but it looks as if was modified in 17/2/17. I have a wood lathe which I can attach a buffing wheel to it, hence the high polish.

John

post-1365-0-91529000-1306354253.jpg

post-1365-0-40494700-1306354260.jpg