Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Somme Visit 14 -16 May

Terry Carter

Just returned and had a splendid three days at Ocean Villas. Two new memorials erected for those that may be visiting in the future. The first is dedicated to the Dorset Regiment and it is located by the side of the road by the grass path leading to Lonsdale Cemetery. (sorry no pics of this one) The 2nd is the Football Pals Memorial dedicated to the 17th and 23rd Battalions of the Middlesex Regt. This is located on the triange of green outside the civilian cemetery at Longueval. Near the South African visitors centre.

This year the fields seem to have scarecrows dotted all over the place and the furrows ( sorry not a farmer) for some crops have been made with precision (see picture)

Will upload a few pics during today of the various places we visited.

Terry

post-66-0-80322100-1305632143.jpg

post-66-0-58915500-1305632235.jpg

post-66-0-54934900-1305632316.jpg

Looking forward to the shots Terry. By the way, those furrows are something special!

Roger

Thanks Roger and Tim.

Whilst visiting the Somme I decided to pay my respects to 2nd Lt William Henry Furse of the 21st Northumberland Fusiliers (Tyneside Scottish). He was part of 102/103 Trench Mortar Company and was killed on the morning of 1st July, 1916, near La Boisselle. William was an original volunteer to the 1st B'ham Battalion (14th RWR). He enlisted with his brother Alan Furse who became a 2nd Lt in the 1st B'ham Bn.

William was commissioned in September 1915 to the Tyneside Scottish. During August 1916, Alan Furse got permission to visit his brother's battlefield grave and change the marker to a cross made by a Carpenter Sgt of the 14th RWR. He took a photo for his parents back home in Moseley, B'ham.

I made a cross of similar style and engraved with the same words that Alan had put onto the cross. I managed to place it on a old wooden fence post behind the Glory Hole at La Boisselle in the vicinity of Quemart Street near the location of the original grave.

Terry

post-66-0-74026400-1305643580.jpg

Photograph of battlefield grave August 1916

Map Refeference supplied by 34th Div.

Position of Quemart Street

Furse Family, 1915. William on the left. Alan on the right.

post-66-0-87611800-1305643748.jpg

post-66-0-62914200-1305643834.jpg

post-66-0-55782600-1305643881.jpg

post-66-0-16068500-1305643985.jpg

Ulster Tower

Popped in to see Teddy and Phoebe. They have a replacement and hope to retire by July/August.

post-66-0-75234600-1305644917.jpg

Ulster Tower

That is a great pic.

This year the fields seem to have scarecrows dotted all over the place and the furrows ( sorry not a farmer) for some crops have been made with precision (see picture)

Another great pic.

Terry

As always, great to read about the Birmingham connections. Those crosses you make are excellent and a fitting tribute. I am also sure they are well regarded by the next visitors to where you placed them.

See you soon in the OC's?

Roger

Them furrows are for taties!

TT

HI TT

Seems more noticeable this year. Field after field with these furrows. Also another new feature Fields are being covered in a thin white gauze material and all over the skyline can be seen vast white patches. I was told it was for Force growing certain crops.

Avril at Ocean Villas has just got a vast amount of shell cases and nose cones for her museum. She got them off a scrap metal dealer who had the deactivated ammo from the French military. Over many years, He kept an example of every type and melted down the rest.

Terry

post-66-0-93334800-1305656359.jpg

Great stuff Terry - particularly the Furse links

Terry,

I noticed the precision ploughing when in Belgium a few weeks ago, seems the farmers have a new plough !

Mick

On behalf of Pals who can seldom visit, thank-you :thumbsup:

Speaking as a farmers son, the guaze or fleece-like material is usally used so certain crops can be planted early and their tender young leaves protected from the frosts - which can prevail as late as end of May

hello my friend,

it 's been a long time we met on the Somme

i hope you didn't miss while visiting the plaques dedicated to the Australians on Bapaume town wall

we had a great ceremony and it took me as the secretary of the tourist board about 2 years to achieve this project.

you might not know but the Somme Remembrance Association is behind the Dorset memorial as we found the land got the agreement between the owner and the village of Authuille. it is a very nice memorial.

there was a few reports on tv and in the news paper but we were not mentioned

hope to see you next time you come. i know that the 10th essex living history group will be station at avril's

kind regards

Hello Philippe

How are you going me old mate. I keep bringing bags of pork scratchings over to the Somme, for you, but you are always on holiday.

Your next mission..... a memorial to the Royal Warwicks on the Somme!

Hoping to get accross with Michael in September... but struggling to get the time off work at the moment.. used all my days up, silly me.

regards

Terry

• 6 years later...

I know this is a old thread but thought I would add this photo to it

4094229A-229D-4C21-8F09-194B9A7A4424.jpeg