Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

15th Scottish Division Patch

Rob Bulloch

Hello all, Could some kind soul please give me the dimensions of a 15th Scottish Div patch, I would like to make a couple up for a Loos display I am trying to put together.

Thanks in advance Aye Rob.

I'm (99.99%) certain that the 15th's 'wedge' wasn't worn on uniform, and, IIRC, there's only one known photo of it being seen on a Brodie (a member of a concert party).

It is asserted that the only infantry patches were, apparently, company indicators; and corps and other troops wore tartan on the sleeves.

Best wishes,

GT.

Rob

Confirming what GT said, divisional signs on uniform mostly date from mid-1918. The earliest example I know of is the 29th Div sign on 1st July 1916. It's just possible 15th Div wore cloth identification patches of some kind at Loos, but if so, it will be difficult finding out what they were, unless you strike lucky in one of the regimental histories.

Regards,

W.

I'm (99.99%) certain that the 15th's 'wedge' wasn't worn on uniform, and, IIRC, there's only one known photo of it being seen on a Brodie (a member of a concert party).

Grovetown,

Can you give any further details of this please?

Grovetown,

Can you give any further details of this please?

Kate

It's an IWM image published in Mike Chappell's Scottish Units in the World Wars, p.29. The helmet is being sported by an RGA sgt, and although the picutre is captioned 15th Division Concert Party, I think he's a fan rather than in the troupe.

Best wishes,

GT.

Many thanks GT.

Grovetown and Wainfleet Many thanks for the information, I remember seeing the Mike Chappell book, I think the front page had a Bombardier RFA,and seeing the Div patch patch being on his helmet. So for display purposes I could make the patch any size

Thanks again Aye Rob.