Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

VICTORY MEDAL WANTED

ralphjd

If any pal knows of the whereabouts of the Victory medal to 14398 Pte Wilson J 8th Devons I would be eternaly grateful, just bought his star and war medal and would love to reunite the trio, I bought the two medals to bring them "home" to his village in Milnrow. Thanks. Ralph.

Good luck Ralph, I think you'll need it because there were over 6 million Victory medals issued!

That said, reunites do occur from time to time. The good news is that its not the British War Medal that's missing because they were often melted down for their silver content. The odds are that this Victory medal is out there somewhere, probably in someones collection.

If you are a member of Bitish Medals Forum you can add a 'WANTED' notice there too, once you have 100 posts of your own

Cheers Andrew. I know I am clutching at straws but one never knows if one never asks, as my mum used to say. Ralph.

Ralph, you can also save a specific search on ebay for this particular Victory medal and link the search to email notification. That way if it ever shows up on ebay you'll automatically receive an email.

I've had a search saved on ebay for about 4 years now looking for a Death Plaque to a Herbert Smith, of which there are lots of Herbert Smith's listed on CWGC. Over the past 4 years I haven't had a sniff!

Oh well, the search goes on........

Murphys'law says that the day after you cancel the request the thing will turn up and you won't know anything about it.:devilgrin:

Cheers

Ray. A friend of mine spotted them on EBay and sent me the link, I bid for them and was successful. I have joined the British Medals Forum in the hope that I can find his Victory medal, you might like to try that avenue.You could always post his details on this site, you never know.Best of luck. Regards. Ralph.

Ralph, Good luck with your search. I have had searches saved on E-Bay for anything to do with where I now live (Dawley in Shropshire) for a few years now and have so far managed to 'Bring Home' two Pairs and Plaques as well as a single plaque and Five singles (Stars, BWM's & Victorys) so it's not impossible.

Dave

Ray. A friend of mine spotted them on EBay and sent me the link, I bid for them and was successful. I have joined the British Medals Forum in the hope that I can find his Victory medal, you might like to try that avenue.You could always post his details on this site, you never know.Best of luck. Regards. Ralph.

Thanks Ralph

I'll give it a go ....

Rgds

Ray

• 2 years later...

Found it, or rather it found me, gave a talk on my book (see other post) and his g/son tells me it is in his possession Stuck as to what to do now.

Murphys'law says that the day after you cancel the request the thing will turn up and you won't know anything about it. :devilgrin:

Cheers

O'Reilly's law is that Murphy was an out-and-out optimist...