Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Troopships from Folkestone

RammyLad1

Hi

Is there a list of troopships that sailed from Folkestone to Boulogne on the 20th october 1918 available anywhere?

Regards Duncan

Duncan

I recall some input from member Charles Fair concerning troops and Folkestone. Part of it was to do with outgoing troops signing a visitors book,but there may be more which might identify the ships you seek.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate

Thanks for the reply, If I can find the ship that my soldier sailed on that day it would be a big part of the jigsaw.

Duncan

Hi Duncan

This is a subject that I to would like to learn more about. I did search the net some time ago and if I remember rightly came across a mention on a forum that someone was researching and going to publish their findings about transportation across the channel. In the mean time I did see this thread about the subject, may help in some way perhaps.

http://1914-1918.inv...howtopic=141264

Mention is made about lists at the Guildhall Library

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Libraries/City_of_London_libraries/guildhall_lib.htm

Wendy

Hi Wendy

Thanks for that link.It appears that there are a few of us interested in this subject.

Regards Duncan

Hi Wendy

Thanks for that link.It appears that there are a few of us interested in this subject.

Regards Duncan

Just back from France and the thought crossed my minded whilst on the Ferry back, " How did they move the troops to France" and what ship's were involved. So you are not alone in this search for information. !!

Rycroft

Duncan

For your interest,(some of ?) the vessels on the run at the time:

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/SR_SECR1.html

As you will see some of them were transferred to the RN for the duration,so there might be logbooks at Kew in the ADM53 series.

Sotonmate

Edit:

Yes there are,but maybe not as detailed as you would wish,but worth a look to see just what is included in these CCFerry logs:

ADM53/40785 EMPRESS July17 to Dec18.

ADM53/40890 ENGADINE Oct17 to Dec18.

ADM53/58031 RIVIERA Oct 1918.

The ONWARD was a regular CCFerry which continued it's daily service (almost certainly more than one sailing a day) and must have been full of soldiers to-ing and fro-ing.

Thanks Sotonmate

I really want to nail this one down.Its just a small piece of the jigsaw but I'm trying to get every detail to complete the story.

Duncan

Yes there are,but maybe not as detailed as you would wish,but worth a look to see just what is included in these CCFerry logs:

ADM53/40785 EMPRESS July17 to Dec18.

ADM53/40890 ENGADINE Oct17 to Dec18.

ADM53/58031 RIVIERA Oct 1918.

These three vessels were hired as seaplane-carriers, therefore you can find their logs at Kew. But they were not used as troop transports of course!

Oliver

Rammy Lad

I mentioned earlier here about some records from Folkestone which had been signed by some troops passing through. A previous thread by Charles Fair has now re-appeared here today on SOLDIERS (Discovery of list of many men who passed through Folkestone Station) so you can read that and see what is proposed etc.

Lorscher

"Of course" I did not know of the use of the vessels as sea plane carriers !

Sotonmate

Sotomate

Have read that today, what an ambitious but worthy project.

Duncan

Just read today about some KOSB's who left Edinburgh May 19th 1917 arrived Boulogne 9-45 am on the 20th on the ship Princess Victoria.

Hope that helps someone.

Rycroft

Hi Duncan

Folkestone harbour was used for troopships for the front and troops returning on leave, Dover Harbour handled the hospital ships and the wounded from the front.

I do not know which troopships were sailing out from Folkestone on 20th October 1918, any of the following could seemly have crossed that day Arundel, Golden Eagle, Invicta, Pieter de Coninck, Princess Clementine, Princess Elizabeth, Princess Henriette, Princess Victoria, Sussex, Victoria, Ville de Liege. There are others but I do not have details to hand, however you can rule out the “Onward”, she was sabotaged in Folkestone on 28th September 1918 and was out of service, the “Queen” was sunk by German destroyers on 27th October1916, and the “Biarritz”, had seemly by then stopped being used as a troopship and was employed as a minelayer.

If you have to choose a ship to search the log sheets for I would start with the Invicta, she was built in 1905 by William Denny & Brother, owners South Eastern & Chatham Railways and was scrapped in 1933. - Best of luck!

Follow the link for some info on the Invicta.

Dabtoe