Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal details for Marchant father and son needed

Proud grandson

I am going to try to locate the British War Medal which F.G. Marchant was awarded and according to this site there are a number of places to do this, including The Geat War Forum. I have been greatly assisted to get the details I have thus far

Given he was in the Royal Navy and it appears he was an SRA with number M 27833 (got from ADM 188/1073) (and have been told here he was an unconfirmed petty officer) what would have been on his medal?

I am also going to post a request for his son's medals whom I have already raised in this forum a number of years ago.

He was Frederick Harry Marchant who enlisted in the RFA Gnr 38656 (30 Sept 1914) and was later transferred to the RE 249536.

His demobilisation papers have him as a Sapper with his "Unit and Regiment or Corps" given as Sgnls R E.

I have found him on the medal rolls gaining all three medals so presume he received them. ( RE/101 B128 page 28071 for the Victory and British War medal and RE 13c 1 page 441).

They could be anywhere in England, Australia or NZ so I will try to put it out to all three places. Can you please tell me what would have been on them so I can accurately describe their details. Thanks again.

Michael

? SRA???

Do you mean ERA - Engine Room Artificer or SBA Sick Berth Attendant??? presumably ERA if he was expecting to be a Petty Officer.....

Medals were usually inscribed around the rim with Service Number, rank (abbreviated!) Initial(s) and Surname....

The Medal Index Cards often contain a symbol showing what rank/unit etc went on each medal.

Good luck with the search, you'll probably be pointed at useful medal sites.

Can you please tell me what would have been on them so I can accurately describe their details. Thanks again.

Michael

Michael

As Kevin said against the Star normally if it's engraved differently from the British and Victory Medals, there will be a symbol, normally an X with a dot top, bottom, left and right, or even an atsterisk this will also be against the Corps and service number it applies to.

e.g. If someone served abroad with in Frederick's case the RFA, that would be on the Star, the British and Victory would normally be engraved with the unit they ended the war with, in this case RE, it would be the same if he stayed with the same unit but his number changed, the earlier one would be on the Star, the final one on the other 2.

At work or I'd post an image of an example.

sam

roughdiamond wrote:

e.g. If someone served abroad with in Frederick's case the RFA, that would be on the Star, the British and Victory would normally be engraved with the unit they ended the war with, in this case RE, it would be the same if he stayed with the same unit but his number changed, the earlier one would be on the Star, the final one on the other 2.

I think you will find this is not correct. In the Journal of the Orders and Medals Research Society, vol. 15, no. 4, page 210, Alex Purves published a short note about a note attached to the receipt form for the British War Medal and Victory Medal which states as follows:

"To avoid unnecessary correspondence, kindly note that the Regtl. particulars inscribed on the British War & Victory Medals are those held on first disembarkation in a theatre of war. The rank is the highest attained, PROVIDED IT WAS HELD IN A THEATRE OF WAR OR OVERSEAS PRIOR TO 11.11.18.

Appointments such as L/Sgts, L/Cpl, etc., are not inscribed on Medals. SPECIAL NOTE TO THOSE WHO SERVED IN RIFLE REGTS. 'Rifleman' is not inscribed on War Medals. 'Pte.' being the correct designation of this rank."

Regards, Dick Flory

? SRA???

Do you mean ERA - Engine Room Artificer or SBA Sick Berth Attendant??? presumably ERA if he was expecting to be a Petty Officer.....

This particular case concerns a member of the RNASBR (Royal Naval Auxilliary Sick Bay Reserve) and Marchant was a SRA (Senior Reserve Attendant).

Cheers Dick

So that's stating that irrespective of the Unit your serving with in 1918, your medals are inscribed with the 1st arrived in theatre details?

Sam