Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Definitive list of British Dead

MichaelBully

I am trying to find a figure for the number of British and Empire Great War dead where the body was not found and from that figure how many would be lost at sea? Any estimates & sources ? Thanks.

For the Naval casualties, that ought to be feasible but I do not believe there would be an exact figure for merchant ships. Numbers of crew and passengers will not be exact figures.

Point taken Tom, Any ideas for naval casualties? Thanks

For the Naval casualties, that ought to be feasible but I do not believe there would be an exact figure for merchant ships. Numbers of crew and passengers will not be exact figures.

Hello Michael

For the Royal Navy casualties, the numbers of missing on the memorials at Portsmouth, Plymouth and Chatham should give you a rough estimate, although they will include some missing from the Royal Naval Division (but these might be identifiable from their units).

There is a Merchant Marine memorial on Tower Hill, opposite the Tower of London. I think it includes WW1 dead as well as WW2, but I don't know if it records all the dead (I think it may do) or just the missing.

The CWGC may be able to help, at least with estimates. The bodies of some of the men "lost at sea" were washed up in various places such as Norway and Denmark, and even Latvia, and are buried in local cemeteries, the graves being under CWGC care.

Ron

Hello Michael

For the Royal Navy casualties, the numbers of missing on the memorials at Portsmouth, Plymouth and Chatham should give you a rough estimate, although they will include some missing from the Royal Naval Division (but these might be identifiable from their units).

There is a Merchant Marine memorial on Tower Hill, opposite the Tower of London. I think it includes WW1 dead as well as WW2, but I don't know if it records all the dead (I think it may do) or just the missing.

The CWGC may be able to help, at least with estimates. The bodies of some of the men "lost at sea" were washed up in various places such as Norway and Denmark, and even Latvia, and are buried in local cemeteries, the graves being under CWGC care.

Ron

Won't cover British and Empire Great War dead in that Australian Navy casualties etc will not be included. Wasn't that the scope of the OP?

It was, centurion, but I never said that the sources I mentioned would include Empire casualties. Michael's posts asked for sources of naval casualties, and I gave some. It wasn't supposed to be a complete list.

No doubt the Australian War Memorial in Canberra, and similar sources for other Dominions (not forgetting India), could fill the gap, but I don't have details of these. Can you help at all?

Ron

Thank you for all the replies . Helpful. Also makes me realise some of the complexities involved in trying to work out the numbers of Great War dead . Will also E mail CWGC- have had contact with them before- and see if they have any figures.

Regards

Michael Bully