Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A trio, plus?

michaeldr

I am not a medal collector but I have been impressed by the members' knowledge in this department and I wonder if you can satisfy my curiosity here

This chap was photographed at Entebbe in 1936 and he was described as a guard at Government House. OK, I think that I recognize the trio, but what is the earlier medal?

This is the crop

NubianGuardGovHseEntebe1936medalsenlarged.jpg

Thanks in advance

Michael

4th Medal ::~ Looks to be an Long Service & Good Conduct Medal George V Field Marshal's Bust type {Army} with old style plain Crimson Ribbon{no white edges which where added IIRC 1916}

In which case it may bell be an African [KAR/WAFF?? etc;]variant of the LSGC [Army] :poppy:

The only other alternative might just be a DCM worn @ the wrong end of the Group,but unlikely for a Uniformed Govt House employee....?

I agree HB, I think it's simply a Long Gong to the army with the Field Marshal's Bust type and the plain crimson ribbon.

Regards, Andrew

Thanks for joining HB here Andrew,

Speculating, and having in mind the ribbon, would you gents say that it probably represents 21 years service up to 1915?

edit to add - remembering that the pic was taken in 1936, does he look that old?

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

Well, the army long gong was instituted in 1830. It was originally awarded to soldiers of exemplary conduct for 21 years service in the infantry or 24 years in the cavalry.

In 1870 however the qualifying period was reduced to 18 years............and just for the record, reduced again in 1977 to 15 years. So to answer your question, his long service medal represents 18 years service - assuming of course that it is a LSGC medal which it very much appears to be.

Difficult to tell how old this recipient is from the black & white photo, and the fact he's wearing a turban doesn't make it any easier. He's quite a stout, heavy looking man which back in 1936 was not nearly as common as it is these days and may point to him being of more senior years, but don't quote me on that!

I think also it is quite difficult to "Guesstimate" the age of Afro~Carribbean men,especially from photos; your man could be anything from 30~65, in all reality,...he is tending toward a "middle age spread" {despite the Governement House Cummerbund};as are we all at that age.... my own guesstimate would be late forties,early 50s,making him easily eligible for an 18 yeaer Rooty gong. :devilgrin: