Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

19295 Pte J.B. Beards 18th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers

biffrocks

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me with my research on 19295 Pte J.C. Beards of the 18th Battalion Lancashire Fusilers. I have managed to find him on the Commonwealth War Graves site with a date of death as 15/04/1917. I wonder if anyone can shed any light on where he may have been serving on this day and also is the 18th Battalion a Bantam Battalion.

Cheers

Rob

He was from Brum. SDGW:-

Name: John Beards

Birth Place: Erdington, Warwick

Death Date: 15 Apr 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Birmingham

Regiment: Lancashire Fusiliers

Battalion: 18th Battalion

Number: 19295

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

http://www.1914-1918.net/lancsfus.htm

18th (Service) Battalion (2nd South East Lancashire)

Formed in Bury on 13 January 1915 by Lieut-Col. G. E. Wike and a Committee as a Bantam Battalion. Moved on 8 April 1915 to Garswood Park (Ashton in Makerfield) and in June 1915 to Masham.

21 June 1915 : attached to 104th Brigade, 35th Division. Record same as 17th Bn.

John

There are quite a few records (about 6 out of 10) surviving with very similar service numbers which give an enlistment date of around 21/4/1915.

They are mainly between 5'2" and 5"4. Oddly, the collier was the tallest in the group at 5'6"

A surprising amount of them were discarded as unlikely to become an efficient soldier.

Can't help with details of the soldier but they were fighting along with the 17th. LF in the area of the attached map.

Colin.

Hi Guys

Thank you all so much for the information and taking time to post. This forum is fantastic and so are the members as they always offer advice and information.

Cheers

Rob

Rob,

There is little on the actions of the 18th. LF on the date mentioned, see your PM.

Colin.