Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

manchester soldier

mgbarrett1

hi all, looking for info on a Joseph Barrett he lived in Manchester and was wounded at ARRAS he survived the war.

not much to go on i am afraid, but you wont know if you dont ask. the two addresses that might be associated with him are manchester royal Infirmary and colyhurst road. he was the son of James and Mary Barrett

regards Martin

This soldier fits the bill (and was wounded at Arras)

Name: Joseph Barrett

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1885

Age at enlistment: 30

Residence: 153 Hendham Vale Harpurhey, Manchester

Document Year: 1915

Regimental Number: 29795

Regiment Name: Bn Manchester Regiment

Number of images: 11

If you have ancestry his record is here

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=joseph&gsln=Barrett+&gskw=manchester&cpxt=1&uidh=784&cp=11&pcat=39&h=66852&db=BritishArmyService&indiv=1&qid=750f1ec4efe34563b97304ee41a62c9a

and

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=1&new=1&MSAV=1&msT=1&gss=angs-c&gsfn=joseph&gsln=Barrett+&gskw=manchester&cpxt=1&uidh=784&cp=11&pcat=39&h=66853&db=BritishArmyService&indiv=1&qid=750f1ec4efe34563b97304ee41a62c9a

He was married to a Sarah Barrett -

Thanks, but i dont think this is him/ He was born in Tipperary Ireland and in 1911 he was 18 i don't think he got married untill 1922 as far as i can say. He was in manchester when he signed up?. From talking to his grandaughter She says he was a stretcher Bearer when he was wounded which could lead him to be in the RAMC?. But i dont know for sure i am just thinking Manchester regiment being that he lived in Manchester at the time

regards Martin