Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War Shell ?

muckandbullets

There used to be a shellcase next to my Grandfathers chair that he sat in . He was in the 71st& 83rd M.T.R.A.S.C. I have an imput on them on my contents started by Charlie Girl . He was also an ARP in the second world war and for the record after the first lot was bombed out twice in the second lot, think I would have been well cheesed off.

Being no expert what so ever and with the short history above I would like to know if this shell case is from THE GREAT WAR and if so, what field gun did it serve.

Shell case opening 3" (7.5cm), Base 3 3/8" (8.5cm), Length 13 3/4" (35cm).

On the base as seen in the photo is "75 DEC", I assume the "seven" is really making it an exaggerated "one" therefore "15th DEC". Further information on base but not seen in photo on base is MA1 or MAI ^ 46L^14^S then appears a gap with a faded upside down 5.

Citizens, Friends and Comrades can you help.

Regards

post-60966-0-48713200-1305292836.jpg

post-60966-0-67482500-1305292859.jpg

It is a French 75mm shell case DEC = DE CAMPAGNE

The 14 will be manufacture date. The other marking will be the manufcturer or filler details but I don't have my references with me.

Hi auchonvillerssomme, Thanks for the early reply, look forward to the answers Great War?Field Gun etc.

Many Thanks

note:- " < " equals a tiny vertical chevron between numbers that cannot be shown as vertical on a keyboard.

Like so ^ ...?

Yes thats it, SPOT ON ! Whoops just realised it is the top 7th Key will re edit previous post.

If 14 is the manufacturing date, still going to ask, I take it the 14 is the year 1914 and not a day in the Month.