Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

picture of ww1 soldier

skone

Driver, Spurs on and bandolier

as i am researching family tree and dont know anything about the military can you please explain - thank you

as i am researching family tree and dont know anything about the military can you please explain - thank you

Skone

The man has Riding spurs attached to his boots. You can see the leather going over the arch of the boot and the silver spur ro the rear of the ankle.

bandolier is a the equopment around his shoulders, this held his bullets (ammunition).

see here

This ponts to him being a mounted soldier on a hourse.

Driver being the lead horse of a gun carrage

see here Hope this helps

Simon

Skone

The man has Riding spurs attached to his boots. You can see the leather going over the arch of the boot and the silver spur ro the rear of the ankle.

bandolier is a the equopment around his shoulders, this held his bullets (ammunition).

see here

This ponts to him being a mounted soldier on a hourse.

Driver being the lead horse of a gun carrage

see here Hope this helps

Simon

[/quo

to simon

yes thank you , can you tell from the cap badge where he comes from?

denise

Hi Denise

Welcome to the Forum

If you try and post an enlarged image of the cap badge, then I am sure the Royal Artillery experts will be along soon to help you, though the badge will not of itself give where he came from. It would also help to post the name and any other details you have, as there are many other sources of information. See the Long Long Trail site at the top left of this page if you haven't already.

Good luck

Peridot

Denise: can you explain what you mean by "where he comes from"? Do you mean what town? The badge on his cap is Royal Artillery. That was his "branch" of the British Army - his regiment. He could have been with the Royal Horse Artillery, the Royal Field Artillery or the Royal Garrison Artillery. The cap badge was the same for all three. A close-up of the photograph might allow us to see his shoulder-titles which would identify which of the three he was with. If you have his name and Army service number, we might also be able to tell. Antony

Large picture might help.

Have you any deatils on the man? Medals? Regimential number? Name?

Simon

i think he may be walter marshall - reserve regiment of cavalry no.23296 12 lis ? machine corps cavalry no. 39893 information taken from medal rolls index walter came from melton mowbray, leicestershire

Denise: can you explain what you mean by "where he comes from"? Do you mean what town? The badge on his cap is Royal Artillery. That was his "branch" of the British Army - his regiment. He could have been with the Royal Horse Artillery, the Royal Field Artillery or the Royal Garrison Artillery. The cap badge was the same for all three. A close-up of the photograph might allow us to see his shoulder-titles which would identify which of the three he was with. If you have his name and Army service number, we might also be able to tell. Antony

to antony

thank you - i think this is walter marshall - information taken from medal rolls index : reserve regiment of cavalry no.23296 12 lis ? machine corps cavalry 39893 - thank you for any information - denise

• Admin

The man in the photo is artillery- this doesn't link in with the info for the medal card you have provided. There are rather a lot of MIC to men named Walter Marsall on Ancestry I'm afraid, and a fair few in the Artillery!

Michelle

thank you - does this info on medal card tie in with the picture ?

No. The man in the picture is not in the uniform of RRC or MGC. Antony

A Walter Marshall was born 4th Qtr 1893 and registered at Melton Mowbray, there is also a Family Tree claiming him with parents Mathew Chamberlain Marshall and Tamar (lovely name, perhaps from the Bridge?) Foster. However, the 1901 Census shows him with a 45 year old widowed father James, born Towcester, with brothers Henry, William, Cyril, John and Mathew, plus sisters Mary and Florence... not surprised his Mum had died.... at 5, Chapel Street, Melton Mowbray.

In 1911, Walter was a clerk in an ironmongers, now the family are in 37, Baywater Road, MM.

They also link to the MIC as you do.

Walter married a Maria Brandham 2nd Qtr 1916 at Loughborough, and a Walter Marshall married a Marjorie Tacey in Melton Mowbray in 1940, so presumably there were children.

Can't find any surviving parers.

re picture of soldier - thank you all for your information which has helped - i have to look now for a family member who was in the royal artillery - thanks again to all - denise

re picture of ww1 soldier - i have found on medal rolls index cards ; cyril marshall royal field artillery - rank gun. ? regt. 173904 -- does this tie into picture? - denise

re picture of ww1 soldier - i have found on medal rolls index cards ; cyril marshall royal field artillery - rank gun. ? regt. 173904 -- does this tie into picture? - denise

Yes that ties in very well as the soldier in the photograph is clearly a gunner in either the Royal Field Artillery, or the Royal Horse Artillery, both of whose members routinely wore the 1903 ammunition bandolier across the chest.