The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Tonbridge School Look Up Please

AlW

Good morning all.

Would it be possible for someone to look up William Ernest Avery for me please in the Tonbridge School and The Great War 1914-1919 book?

Also, does anyone know if the school has a war memorial and if they do - is he on it?

Regards

Alan W

I cannot find William Ernest Avery in any of the Tonbridge School registers or in Tonbridge School and the Great War 914-1919. Dick Flory

Hello Alan

I would think it very likely that the school has some form of memorial and probably an archive/archivist. Might be worth visiting their website.

Good luck

Peridot

I cannot find William Ernest Avery in any of the Tonbridge School registers or in Tonbridge School and the Great War 914-1919. Dick Flory

Good morning Dick,

Sorry to bother you but could I ask for a look up for James Whaley Fryer Northumberland Fusiliers, please in the Giggleswick School Register and the Carlisle Grammar School ROH if you have them?

Many thanks

Alan Wallace

James Whaley Fryer

Born on 25 Feb 1892, the son of J. Whaley Fryer, Rookhurst, Hawes, Yorkshire

Educated at Giggleswick School from May 1902 to August 1905 and at Carlisle Grammar School from September 1905 to Easter 1910.

Articled to a solicitor

Commissioned 2nd Lieutenant, 22nd Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers

Transferred as a 2nd Lieut. to the 15th Northumberland Fusiliers on 15 January 1915 and served in the France and Flanders with that unit

Killed in action on 1 July 1916.

Sources: Carlisle Grammar School Memorial Register 1264-1924; Giggleswick School Register 1499-1921.

Regards, Dick Flory

• 1 year later...

I know that Tonbridge School has the names of the WW1 kia at the entrance to the Chapel. However you should be aware that the original chapel burnt down a few years ago but I believe the stone showing all the kia has been suitably renovated as a new Chapel was rebuilt at some great cost. If you're still looking for Avery can I suggest you contact the school archivist.