Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

photos wanted of these ships

Guest landwirt20

Guest landwirt20

:huh:not to long ago i acuired some medals from a member who's great grandad served on these ships/land base'es listed below unforunatlly i don't know whats what..if any of you have photos /info on this i would be most grateful and would renburse any out of pocket expensies...( yes i know my spelling is rubbish.) i am trying to complete a history of a man for the family and the photos would be the iceing on the cake...many thanks ..jim

hms..majestic,..magnificent,..duke of wellington..albion,..terrible,..cambrian,..penguin,..powerful,..bristol,..skirmi

ster,..talbot,..sapphire11,..cambridge,..apollo(millbrook)

Guest sciurus

HMS Duke of Wellington - Sail Ship of the Line

Built in 1851 as the Sail Ship of the Line HMS Windsor Castle. She was renamed in 1852 because she was launched on the day the Iron Duke died, hence she was immediately renamed in his honour. She was one of the last wooden-walled ships to be built, and it has been calculated that about 76 acres of trees were felled to provide the timber. During her construction, the hull was sawn apart and an extra 20 feet was inserted so that the machinery and boilers for a Robert Napier steam engine, driving a screw propellor, could be fitted.

She was removed from active service in 1863 and used as a static harbour ship in Portsmouth. In 1869 the Duke of Wellington had replaced HMS Victory as flagship at Portsmouth, a role which she played until 1891, and her main duties were mainly ceremonial, as several Log Book entries record the firing of salutes to passing dignitaries, including at times Queen Victoria on her way to or from Osborne House.

When built, she had been armed with 131 guns of various calibres, but by 1874 this had been reduced to 13, and these were used only for drill, signaling and saluting. The Duke had been Vice-Admiral Sir Charles Napier's flagship in the Baltic during the Crimean War, and her crew had seen successful service ashore in capturing the fortress of Bomarsund.

Her Naval service finally ended on 12th April 1904, when she was sold.