Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

TF Battalions pre War

steve fuller

Am i correct in thinking the pre War TF members enrolled or simliar, and hence records exist stating who joined when??

If so, could anyone kindly point me in their direction? (I have already contacted the Beds archivist).

For info, my soldier is Pvt Herbert Charles Kendall, 1/5th Bedfords (TF), probably F company pre War, and therefore reorganised into C Co during War. Went to Suvla Bay, then france eventually ...

Steve

Steve

I have researched the pre-war activites of 2 of my great-uncles and found the muster rolls at the regimental museum. They first joined up in 1903/5. Bear in mind that I had to make an appointment to visit the archive - they are are not on general view and then had to wade through 8 dusty archive boxes to find them. Also you mind find that these items no longer exist for a number of reasons.

regards

Andy

Thanks Andy

Will have a look in that direction. Starting to expect records not to exist for this man, as not much has survived :(

Cheers

Steve

Steve

I only got into the regt'l archive at the 2nd attempt, the archivist would not have gone through the old boxes as part of my routine enquiry. Might be worth asking if they have any such records and that you might be prepared to look through them yourself.

Andy

As it happens, have developed a very helpful contact at the Beds archives; really nice guy who cant help enough. Shame hes on hols (selfish beasty, didnt he know Id need him?!!!!!)

Thanks mate