Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can Any one help Identify the cap badge?

Pavster1980

Hello All

While going through my grandparents photo collection I came across this photo of a lad in uniform. We believe it could be my Grandfathers father, who was born 1899 in Otley, Leeds, West Yorkshire and called Herbert Banning Hathaway. Unfortunately we do not know what Regiment he was in or when this photo was taken. Any help with the badge would be great. Unfortuntley the photo is only 1" by 1 1/2 " so Ihave enlarged it best I can with my scanner and software.

Rich

P.s. - My grandfatther said his father used to play the bugle in the band in the scouts later in life, he also said he used to walk around every where fast do to being in the marching band or something.

post-60087-0-72273800-1304799343.jpg

• Admin

A/ Aren't you supposed to be on Honeymoon?

B/ Artillery is my guess

Michelle

A/ Aren't you supposed to be on Honeymoon?

B/ Artillery is my guess

Michelle

Not going until next week :wub:

Rich

Hello All

While going through my grandparents photo collection I came across this photo of a lad in uniform. We believe it could be my Grandfathers father, who was born 1899 in Otley, Leeds, West Yorkshire and called Herbert Banning Hathaway. Unfortunately we do not know what Regiment he was in or when this photo was taken. Any help with the badge would be great. Unfortuntley the photo is only 1" by 1 1/2 " so Ihave enlarged it best I can with my scanner and software.

Rich

P.s. - My grandfatther said his father used to play the bugle in the band in the scouts later in life, he also said he used to walk around every where fast do to being in the marching band or something.

Yes, either Royal Field Artillery or Royal Horse Artillery as both wore the 1903 pattern bandolier.

post-0-0-28571100-1304806337.jpg

thanks for your help all, now I have looked at R.A. badges it seems to be the one from the shape on the photo. But without knowing where to start I had no idea.

Again thanks to you all

Rich

P.S. - now I just need to find his Reg. No. etc. . . . . :wacko:

He would appear to have 3 line shoulder titles, so TF or... it does seem to have curved bottom line (and top?)....

I must say, although I cannot think of an obvious alternative (particularly the scroll workwhich does seem a good fit), I am not 100% happy that it is RA... perhaps it is a combination of odd angle and lighting - and as everyone else is happy that it is, I will just mutter to myself and look for obscure yeomanry badges which might fit...

Edit

There is a

Medal card of Hathaway, Herbert M: 124088 Acting Bombardier Royal Garrison Artillery

Note M as middle initial might be worth checking

Edited by 4thGordons

He would appear to have 3 line shoulder titles, so TF or... it does seem to have curved bottom line (and top?)....

I must say, although I cannot think of an obvious alternative (particularly the scroll workwhich does seem a good fit), I am not 100% happy that it is RA... perhaps it is a combination of odd angle and lighting - and as everyone else is happy that it is, I will just mutter to myself and look for obscure yeomanry badges which might fit...

Edit

There is a

Medal card of Hathaway, Herbert M: 124088 Acting Bombardier Royal Garrison Artillery

Note M as middle initial might be worth checking

Any help is good, I don't know so will go with what you chaps suggest. His middle name was deffinately Banning, So would me Herbert B Hathaway. Perhaps he never made it over sea's so there are no records. Will try and find out more from the oldies, but they are in their late 80's so memories are a bit poor these days.

Rich